Macs

Abstract

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a new computer I'm thinking Mac but the question is iMac or PowerMac? what spec should I be looking for for photo editing and storage? any help is much appreciated.

Im using a Power Mac right now. It is a little older, but Im looking at the G-5 when I get some $$$. As for the specs, Im not sure yet. I know I have had trouble with the mac I have now, being slow...so I imagine a lot of RAM is a good thing. I have 3 80gig hard drives...one internal and two external for photo storage. And have plenty of room , just it can be slow.
I was talking to a Msc rep the other day, and he suggested the Mac Mini. If I get to see him again soon, I will forward any info I get.

I was looking at the new powermacs but they are extremely expensive and as an amateur I can't really justify £2000+ on a computer. The G5 with RAM upgrade to 1GB (more RAM faster it goes) and upgrade to wireless keyboard (because I'm lazy and used to laying in bed with laptop :lmao: ) I can go to. Won't be for a little while anyways but in a couple of months I would be very interested. It'll be a change because I was bought up as a PC user but I hear macs are better at photog things...

I have a powermac dual G5 1.8Ghz with 1 gb of memory coupled with their 20 inch cinema display. I love it. Its probably a bit more ( and expensive ) than necessary for photo editing.

I would probably go with the 20inch 2.1Ghz G5 Imac which includes the built in 20 inch widescreen display and load it up to the max with memory. Apple charges an arm and leg for memory so consider third party from a well known brand like crucial or kingston. It also has 250gb of harddisk space which should keep you happy for a while. More disk space? no problem.. firewire external is the way to go.

A PowerMac with a display will run over $2k and I don't consider the mac mini a good buy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back