Madala portrait

J.Kendall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone have any experience making one? I have to make one for my intro to Visual Art class, and my professor told me that I could do it using film. Help?

Anyone have any experience making one? I have to make one for my intro to Visual Art class, and my professor told me that I could do it using film. Help?

I have done Mandala's with coloured sand, but have not heard of a Madala. What makes this type of portrait unique?

Sorry...misspelling. It is a Mandala portrait.

So you are going to make a portrait out of sand and film (or video) the process? What aspect of the project do you need help with?

This is what I do with my students:
- We watch a ritual mandala being made and destroyed by monks.
- We talk out the impermanence of all things and relate the discussion to what is important in our own lives. It is interesting that you are being asked to create a portrait.
- we create a mandala, collaboratively, as a community building exercise. Each student contributes a segment of the completed mandala.
- it is a powerful exercise of "letting go" as we either destroy, or allow the elements to erode the work.

If you are doing a portrait, I would suggest that the subject be someone of importance in your life. It will be like dedicating a part of yourself to them and letting that effort be scattered by the wind. I would love if you would post some of the imagery from the project.

Most reactions

Back