Magazine spec question

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all. I understand most magazines use a rule of thumb at 300 pixels per inch for their printed photographs. Does this mean if say a magazine has a double spread photo printed and the pages are sat 12x10 inches resulting in a 12x20 photo that the original photo was over 21mp?. Could a program like genuine fractals or similar up res in a satisfactory manner or are large magazine shots usually very hi res cameras? Also are there usually other specs required for a magazine print? Thanks

Standard magazine size is closer to 8.5 x 11.

Key point - "rule of thumb", and usually a requirement for submissions, so the magazine editors can edit the image prior to publication. That does not mean the image gets printed in the magazine at 300 ppi.

The range of requirements is actually pretty broad, and you would still need to check with each publication for their specific requirements.

so the magazine editors can edit the image prior to publication.

This is also why most publishers want no sharpening (other than capture sharpening). I would also avoid up-res if possible.

Besides magazines...think about all the large prints that photographers make. The rule of thumb is still 300 PPI...but photographers have been making large prints from 6-8MP cameras for years. I get newsletters from one photographer who used to shoot with a Canon D30 (or whatever it was). Something like 3MP and his clients still have 16x20 photos hanging on their walls.

Part of the process may be up-sizing the image via interpolation software. GF is (has been) one of the best options, but Photoshop is pretty good as well.
Another part is that you don't actually need that much resolution as the prints get larger. Larger prints are meant to be viewed from farther away. Consider a bill board, those aren't shot with 1000MP cameras, they are just printed at a rather low resolution because they don't need to be viewed up close.

So when it comes to 8.5 x 11 or magazine size...resolution from any modern digital camera is likely fine.

Most reactions

Back