majoring in photography?

I think that if you're truly passionate about photography you will learn it on your own.
Maybe take some intro to photography classes that will help you learn the camera basics and understanding light, but I think majoring in it would be a waste.
Spend your time out shooting, practicing, getting life experience. Those will ultimately make you gain the most valuable education. Also, start examining light. Everywhere you go, look at light. How does it play in the "Scene"? (scene meaning what you see in front of you). How is the light falling on your subject?

:) hope that helps

Here's an article published today in the New York Times, which might be considered fair game to throw into the mix. As far as education versus application and practice, I think Switch1FX's comments above make a lot of sense for those who wish to get into commercial/advertising photography. This article shows part of the changing face of the photography business--which is a huge business with many sub-specialties.

For Photographers, the Image of a Shrinking Path - NYTimes.com

Frankly no. Your portfolio will get you jobs. a certificate won't. Find a photographer and assist. That is the best course money can buy, and you don't have to use money to buy it.

a year or two down the line (Earlier than going to Uni) you will have experience, a portfolio, contacts and loads of good memories. Not to mention a three or four year head start on students who are just leaving Uni with none of these things, and a firm belief that ... a good image is one that you can deconstruct in order to analise the angst of the creative jouessence of the torment within the soul which lead to the heartfelt juxtaposition of the specific zeitgheist of the inclusive ciroscuro (These are their spellings not mine). of the image..... etc

P.S. I know , I got one. A lot of fun, but not much use frankly. MOST photography degrees are Arts degrees which use photography as a medium, so, good if you wish to collate or curate collections. As a photographer you will require a much more practical approach than is NORMALLY taught within accademic courses.

Another P.S. Why are I phone Repairs allowed to drop blatent adverts into a discussion forum...?

I'm just going to throw this out there,,, but liking photography and even being good at photography may not be the determining factors of your success in the industry. What I have found is that personality is very important.

• Are you a social butterfly.
  • Can you talk to strangers like you've know them for years.
  • Can you make people smile, often.

If you have those qualities and can take good pictures you might consider majoring in it; if you're shy or people irritate you, you may want it to remain a hobby and find a career more suited to your personality.

None of what I said is based off of anything you have said in these forums, I have no idea what kind of personality you have; this is just a general tip I would tell to anyone.

No.. I don't think it is a good idea to pursue a pure photographic path in college

No.. I don't think it is a good idea to skip college all together to pursue photography.

----

I see college as a investment on your future. It is an extremely expensive these days and you need to consider return on investment. Worst case scenario.. you graduate with huge amounts of debt with a degree that doesn't necessarily make you anymore marketable. Stuck in a $40-50k job for years trying to pay off a huge educational loan and getting no where quickly. I've seen several examples of this..... it isn't a pretty place to be in.

On the other hand, not going to college is a very stupid idea (assuming you have the opportunity). Its more important now than ever before to open doors for opportunities. When I was in school, a B.S. gave you a guaranteed chance at a good future.. now its MBA's and other advanced degrees. What does that mean for those that never went to college? Yes, I know two people through my life that have no college degree and done very well for themselves. Both will say that they regret it... (One went back to college in his 50s after putting both his daughters through college).

Deciding your studies in college requires a bit of research. Of course part of that research is determining if it is something fall along your interests but the other side is how you'll stand in the marketplace 10-20-30 years from now. The days of choosing a study purely on interests is over..... simply because the cost is so great. Find a happy medium between interests, marketability, salary predictions, job availability, and how well they survive up swings in the economy.

For those with an interests in photography, I have seen great success from those that pursued it via a journalism or business path. I considered photography but came to a quick realization that I'd rather enjoy it with another career path. I chose pure Computer Engineering path. Looking back, I would have faired better if I had chosen a Major in Computer Science and Minored in Business (special program offered). With the outsourcing and the bursting of the ".com" bubble, I would have faired a much better chance at a study that gave me breadth not depth. I might have had a chance at starting a business in photography when I was unemployed for two years.

No.. I don't think it is a good idea to pursue a pure photographic path in college

No.. I don't think it is a good idea to skip college all together to pursue photography.

----

I see college as a investment on your future. It is an extremely expensive these days and you need to consider return on investment. Worst case scenario.. you graduate with huge amounts of debt with a degree that doesn't necessarily make you anymore marketable. Stuck in a $40-50k job for years trying to pay off a huge educational loan and getting no where quickly. I've seen several examples of this..... it isn't a pretty place to be in.

On the other hand, not going to college is a very stupid idea (assuming you have the opportunity). Its more important now than ever before to open doors for opportunities. When I was in school, a B.S. gave you a guaranteed chance at a good future.. now its MBA's and other advanced degrees. What does that mean for those that never went to college? Yes, I know two people through my life that have no college degree and done very well for themselves. Both will say that they regret it... (One went back to college in his 50s after putting both his daughters through college).

Deciding your studies in college requires a bit of research. Of course part of that research is determining if it is something fall along your interests but the other side is how you'll stand in the marketplace 10-20-30 years from now. The days of choosing a study purely on interests is over..... simply because the cost is so great. Find a happy medium between interests, marketability, salary predictions, job availability, and how well they survive up swings in the economy.

For those with an interests in photography, I have seen great success from those that pursued it via a journalism or business path. I considered photography but came to a quick realization that I'd rather enjoy it with another career path. I chose pure Computer Engineering path. Looking back, I would have faired better if I had chosen a Major in Computer Science and Minored in Business (special program offered). With the outsourcing and the bursting of the ".com" bubble, I would have faired a much better chance at a study that gave me breadth not depth. I might have had a chance at starting a business in photography when I was unemployed for two years.

Totally agree, while I love photography and writing more than anything I am getting my degree in accounting,,, on the other hand I plan to go back and get an associates in photography or writing or both AFTER I get my accounting degree. That doesn't mean nobody should go to art school I just don't think that I am an amazing photographer nor do I have the personality to deal with people at that emotional level; hence the accounting degree.

First of all, I agree with what Bitter has said. If photography is your passion, and you see yourself as a pro in the future, then by all means, do it. BUT, I don't think majoring in photography is the right way to go about it.

Professional photography is more about marketing yourself than it is about photography. I have seen tons of very successful 'professional' photographers whose work is mediocre at best. But, because they know the business end of it, they are very successful. I've also seen plenty of absolutely amazing pro photographers who get very little business because they simply don't know how to market themselves.

Lesson here is this. If you're going to go to college to become a pro photographer, get yourself a business degree. Learn how to market yourself. Learn to brand yourself. Learn how to generate business. Learn the boring business side of the industry. You can learn all the photography skills you need to become a pro by doing what you're doing right now. Reading forums, doing research, shooting and getting feedback. The business end is what's going to make you successful.

no. i've seen it time and time again (not just with photographers, but actors and singers, etc)... use this time in college wisely and valuably... get a degree in a field that has job openings and will pay the bills right out of college....

I have to agree with this. I have decided recently that while I am working on a bachelors degree in social work, I will also work on a certificate or associates in photography. But I'm just a study-holic and am enjoying
my time as a full time student and being able to stay with my kids most of the time. It's tight financially for me considering I have 2 kids and I am living on a students budget with no actual job.

Long story short, I would recommend you look into doing something similar. Go to school for something that will be "real" and work on a second degree or a certificate in photography at the same time.

The way I am looking at it, I am going to school full time for what I need to do and I am doing something fun for me at the same time :)

When I was in high school my dream was to get laid a lot. Fortunately, or not, I didn't major in that.

If your dream is to be a professional photographer, study business administration. I've known excellent photographers who couldn't earn a living doing photography. There are others who have made a ton of money and are broke.

If your dream is to be an artist, become a licensed electrician so you can support yourself while you pursue your muse.

A great way to get in to photography is to assist a great photographer....you need to be in a major market city...like NY....work for a successful photographer in the vein you like eg. fashion or still life...you will learn the craft faster and develop your own style as you learn....assist for at least 3 years....maybe 2 different photographers......your pay will be very low...be ready for that..but...after that time you will have met important people in the industry and that is invaluabe....connections and networking are just as important as a good portfolio

First of all, I agree with what Bitter has said. If photography is your passion, and you see yourself as a pro in the future, then by all means, do it. BUT, I don't think majoring in photography is the right way to go about it.

I can't tell you how many people pass through the TPF and believe they have the talent and drive... whether they "actually" do have what it takes is a different discussion.

Lesson here is this. If you're going to go to college to become a pro photographer, get yourself a business degree.

Yup.. if not business... marketing... writing.. journalism etc...

I love to do this, I love to do that, etc................until it becomes a job.

There is nothing like a job to ruin a good hobby.
Time and again people have a hobby while working a "job", and decide to leave the "job" for the love of their hobby.

Soon the hobby becomes a "job", and it is not what it was when it was a hobby.

Couple that with the influx of digital photography, dwindling job base for photographers and the "HOARDE OF PICTURE TAKERS" (myself included), and all of a sudden it is not the same industry it was just 10 years ago.

So... a different game plan has to be developed, you need to be able to adapt.

If you can do all of that and a whatever else will rear it's head during your process, then keep thinking about it. Remember, you will be starting out, not finishing your career.

Where is photography headed???????????????????????? You need to know

Most reactions

New Topics

Back