majoring in photography?

NO! do something that will land you a good job. Then you could buy all the photography gadgets that you want and enjoy shooting YOUR OWN pictures. If you want, you can maybe audit the photography classes, or consider it later on when your life is settled.

I think any art shouldnt involve schooling. If you can be a pro at it ... well it will happen. after you are pro and you really feel you need that peice of paper to get you to the next level then thats different. till then be pro for a little while before concidering. Keep working on the fun of it and get the game down a little better. You have come a long way but still a ways to go pro. School will not " really " get you there.

You could even do something like what I'm doing. Right now I'm a Journalism major (I love writing for some strange reason), with a minor in photography. Think about something you love as well, and then see if there's anyway that you can connect that to photography. Photo and Journalism is a good combo - I can write my articles AND take my own pictures. Just think of how you could still keep photography a portion of your life. Even if you don't major OR minor in it...take some classes...

Although I will say, as a Sophomore in High School, I wanted to do web design. I changed my mind on "when I grow up I want to be a ______________" about 100 times between my Sophomore and Senior year...so just lay low, think about it...see what else is kind of sparking your interest and just follow your heart...

Boomba

You know, you're just the right age to be an intern or an assistant. What kind of photographer do you want to be? Wedding season is starting up. Find a local photag who wants an assistant. Go on a few shoots, shadow him/her, see if it's the lifestyle you want.

Photography classes in college will teach you a lot about compositional theory, and it will provide an excellent environment for really good feedback and criticism. Some programs will also enable you to network.

Many schools offer a major in visual arts or studio or something similar. You then have the option to concentrate in one area such as photography.

I'm about to hire a wedding photographer, and whether s/he went to RISD, NYU, or Joe Shmoe's Kolij won't really make a difference. I'm looking at portfolios and listening to reviews from friends.

If you're planning to go into journalism, that's another story. I don't know much about that, but I bet your local newspaper wouldn't mind an intern.

Loving photography is not enough if you want it to become your source of income though it is helpful. I was like you before, thinking what kind of business should I get. Then I remembered what my cousin told me about a man that could really help me to decide. I gave it a try and yes, he’s my superhero… he was a great help to me and will be my superhero until my business is done – Mr. Wilson Luna. You could meet him if you want. This coming May, there will be another 2-day workshop “FREE” in Australia. You could meet other business buddies there and you’ll not regret it for sure!

Visit him at http://wilsonluna.net.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back