make sure you get my good side

scooter2044

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The dam where I take my bird pics is being replaced this year and they have drained all but a few inches of water from the area where most of the birds congregate. It is now a grown up mess of loosestrife (which can be pretty but will take over the lakebed) making it difficult to see much. This shot was taken after heavy rains and flooding in July knocked down much of the loosestrife. I'm not sure whether the birds will be back next year or not.

make sure you get my good side

I have a pretty good idea how to shoot white birds, and have some success.
But where I lack you have captured.
Would you care to share any insight how you keep the BG light and not dark?
And still get the exposure right on the bird?

Thank you. There are far more experienced people on TPF that could help you more than I could. I have been taking photos for 3 years but very sporadically at best. The thing I have found that helps me when shooting white birds is to get out early on a cloudy day before the sun comes over the top of the treeline. It helps to reduce the highlight on the birds. I believe this was taken on a cloudy morning around 6 or 7 so the sky was light but the sun hadn't come over the trees yet. I try to expose so as not to lose any highlights and do what I can in post to lighten the background if necessary. I only have Photoshop Elements so if you use Photoshop and lightroom I won't be much help there. Maybe post a question in one of the forums to get some better advice from the others.

Thank you. There are far more experienced people on TPF that could help you more than I could. I have been taking photos for 3 years but very sporadically at best. The thing I have found that helps me when shooting white birds is to get out early on a cloudy day before the sun comes over the top of the treeline. It helps to reduce the highlight on the birds. I believe this was taken on a cloudy morning around 6 or 7 so the sky was light but the sun hadn't come over the trees yet. I try to expose so as not to lose any highlights and do what I can in post to lighten the background if necessary. I only have Photoshop Elements so if you use Photoshop and lightroom I won't be much help there. Maybe post a question in one of the forums to get some better advice from the others.
I think you have me the answer!
Thanks!

Very nicely captured shot.

Mike

Most reactions

Back