Making an Impression - Artsy Impressionistic Experimental Photos Thread

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For this week's challenge, let's get out our imaginations and create some Impressionist art. There are a lot of different techniques to create Impressionist style photos. In camera options include ICM (intentional camera movement), double exposure, zooming, selective focus, long exposure and focusing or shooting through. Alternatively, you can use post processing filters and adjustments to achieve similar results.

Here's a link with a very brief description of the in camera techniques: 5 Impressionist Photo Techniques

Try to use both in camera and post processing techniques this week and include info about your technique or settings. Maybe post two different takes on the same photo. If you use post processing techniques, include the original file if you want to show before and after.

Going to make an exception to the new photos only rule this week. Please take some new photos with this challenge in mind but for one or two posts only, if you want to use existing photos to re-edit and try some post processing techniques then do that but please note it's a re-edit of an older photo.

Not one of those samples given in that link speak to me as Impressionism . Interesting topic though.

Not one of those samples given in that link speak to me as Impressionism . Interesting topic though.

Looking forward to seeing your take on it.

First time trying the double exposure feature on my Xt2. May not be jc’s idea of Impressionism ;) but it did get me to pick up my camera today and to learn something new.

ISO 100, f7.1, .5 slow movement. Edited in ACR contrast, saturation, vibrance, black point, lens correction. In PS added Nik filter brilliance & warmth and a cross processing filter.

Abstract motion by Cheryl, on Flickr
Love this!

I spent a couple hours shooting this little tree sculpture. trying to get the camera shake just right. Tried some zooming, then all kinds of blur and effects in post. Used an effect filter on the lens. hmmmm.

Finally I decided I liked the way the shadow in my test shot looked.
impression-1.jpg

#1 first experiment

I agree with @jcdeboever that the mentioned techniques actually have nothing to do with ''impressionism'', because the work of, for example, painters like Monet, Degas, van Gogh, Breitner, Pisarro can hardly be visualized with double exposure, zooming or long exposure etc., but nonetheless it can not hurt to create something that comes somewhat close to it and maybe yield new ideas.

View attachment 153215

Last edited:
It's difficult for me to separate impressionist painting from impressionist photography. Impressionism is locked in with painting in my head. This will be a bit of a mind bender for me but that's a good thing.

1. Original
View attachment 153210

2. Edit, online photo edit
View attachment 153211

JC I always love your style and vision and execution, but you turned those pretty flowers into fried eggs :)

It's difficult for me to separate impressionist painting from impressionist photography. Impressionism is locked in with painting in my head. This will be a bit of a mind bender for me but that's a good thing.

1. Original
View attachment 153210

2. Edit, online photo edit
View attachment 153211

JC I always love your style and vision and execution, but you turned those pretty flowers into fried eggs :)
Lol. Took a marginal image and pooped on it with software

Most reactions

New Topics

Back