Making an Impression - Artsy Impressionistic Experimental Photos Thread

@Peeb

Check out “Impressionist Photography” and Impressionist Photography Learning” groups on Facebook. Lots of different techniques shared in these groups. A lot of the landscapes that are made in camera seem to be done with ICM or double exposure. Lots of filters in PS, Topaz, Affinity, Snapseed can give a painterly look. I’ve seen some great use of textures and plan on giving that a try myself.

For yours, I like the look of the blurred part and would probably keep that across the whole thing.
Another try (switching from sun to moon)...

Moonrise, Osage County OK
by Peeb-OK, on Flickr

Lens in a baggie per @Derrel

impression-1-5.jpg

Looks foggy, but it was a clear morning. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hole poked in the baggie
impression-1-7.jpg

# 3 third experiment
Fuji XE-1 + Olympus 50mm lens

1. Edit with PaintNet plugin "Dream" + second layer "noise" added
View attachment 153305

2. Edit no.1 + second layer Pixlr "silk" effect added
View attachment 153306

3. Edit no.1 + second layer Pixlr "dapple" effect added (pretty rough result)
View attachment 153307

4. Edit of image 3 + extra layer "middle gray" + layer with "halftone dots" effect added
View attachment 153308

Had to try this one, because the image looks very much a transition from Impressionism to Pointilism, ultimately a consequence of that style.
(pointilism style, painters such as van Gogh, Pisarro, Signac)

Last edited:
# 3 third experiment
Fuji XE-1 + Olympus 50mm lens

1. Edit with PaintNet plugin "Dream" + second layer "noise" added
View attachment 153305

2. Edit no.1 + second layer Pixlr "silk" effect added
View attachment 153306

3. Edit no.1 + second layer Pixlr "dapple" effect added (pretty rough result)
View attachment 153307

4. Edit of image 3 + extra layer "middle gray" + layer with "halftone dots" effect added
View attachment 153308

Had to try this one, because the image looks very much a transition from Impressionism to Pointilism, ultimately a consequence of that style.
(pointilism style, painters such as van Gogh, Pisarro, Signac)

Fun stuff! I like version #3 with the dapple effect best.

Impressions of a supernova

supernova final.jpg

Not sure whether this is really impressionist or more concept, but I quite like it anyway.

It was shot using a long exposure and through focusing (if that's the correct term - I started at 80mm and pulled slowly out to 28mm), then I cut it and duplicated the crop, flipping once, and imported the resulting halves into a black frame, which was a shot taken with the lens cap on.

Last edited:
^^ Used the Rough Pastels filter in PSE11 followed by the French Countryside filter in Topaz Adjust and then the Dual Tone Yellow to Red filter in Topaz Lens Effects.

For this week's challenge, let's get out our imaginations and create some Impressionist art. There are a lot of different techniques to create Impressionist style photos. In camera options include ICM (intentional camera movement), double exposure, zooming, selective focus, long exposure and focusing or shooting through. Alternatively, you can use post processing filters and adjustments to achieve similar results.

fullsizeoutput_44ee.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
@otherprof I hope you don't mind I fixed your post to move your photo out of the quote and into the post.

Beautiful colors and texture!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back