Making an Impression - Artsy Impressionistic Experimental Photos Thread

Didn’t have a chance to post this here last night. Same flowers with double exposure but this time I added a Perlin Noise filter in Affinity Photo app. Not something I’ve ever used before so not sure what it’s really meant for. Just kept tweaking it until I liked the result.

@SquarePeg you consistently produce extremely attractive images in this genre, among others.

Oh my, some VERY strong images, right off the bat!
5 Impressionist Photo Techniques

I thought this was a good on-line article. Another technique...shooting through a plastic sandwich baggie in front of the lens, with or without colored marking pen added to the baggie. One can poke or tear a hole in the center of the baggie's "filter" area, and create a sort of center-spot filter effect.

Here is my first effort, but I would love some tips on what workflow y'all are using.

Hazy sunrise
by Peeb-OK, on Flickr

I tried for an ethereal feel, but I couldn't resist getting the center dead-sharp (maybe a mistake). Used DXO Photolab to use a blur vignette and tinkered a bit with contrast too.

@Peeb

Check out “Impressionist Photography” and Impressionist Photography Learning” groups on Facebook. Lots of different techniques shared in these groups. A lot of the landscapes that are made in camera seem to be done with ICM or double exposure. Lots of filters in PS, Topaz, Affinity, Snapseed can give a painterly look. I’ve seen some great use of textures and plan on giving that a try myself.

For yours, I like the look of the blurred part and would probably keep that across the whole thing.

@Peeb

Check out “Impressionist Photography” and Impressionist Photography Learning” groups on Facebook. Lots of different techniques shared in these groups. A lot of the landscapes that are made in camera seem to be done with ICM or double exposure. Lots of filters in PS, Topaz, Affinity, Snapseed can give a painterly look. I’ve seen some great use of textures and plan on giving that a try myself.

For yours, I like the look of the blurred part and would probably keep that across the whole thing.
Thanks!

I did a Google search on the term photographic impressionism. Got this: photographic impressionism - Yahoo Search Results Yahoo Image Search Results

As far as impressionism...photography played a large part in the development of impressionist painting. YES, you read that right! The Impact of Photography on Painting Multiple other sources go into this influence in a more deep and scholarly manner, but rest assured, it's true: the invention of photography, with its ability to create realistic renderings of any scene the eye could see, meant that painting would soon take a turn away from the documenting, from the realism, that had marked the prior 400-plus years of Western painting history, as artists turned toward a less-realistic, and more free and open and evocative way of painting things. Since there had been invented a device that could record down to the most-minute details the realities of the world, there was no longer such a compelling need for painters to focus their efforts on "realism", and within a few decades of the development of photography, impressionism was born.

In the modern sense, I think that YES, impressionism can be done using a camera and modern photo-related tools (software and printing-out methods).

This was an existing image destined for the bin.
impression-1-5.jpg

WB, crop and median noise filter
impression-1-4.jpg

This is a old photo from a trip to VT this past Fall. I ran it through a couple of filters in PSE11 and Topaz labs. I might push it a little more. What do you think?

5F8C0399-AC9A-41A2-B2EB-4878C909BB3B.jpeg

hmmm I like the sharp lines in the buildings. I really like it as is, myself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back