Making the leap into full frame

stevengriffin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been taking pictures for nearly 4 years and have been pursuing photography as a possible (one day) career. I feel I deserve the unparalleled quality that full frame L lenses provide. However, it's been eating away at me how much I'm about to spend to have enough gear for your average workflow. Is this the cheapest most effective setup for someone looking to make the leap? I'm currently shooting with a Rebel t5i. Would you guys recommend these products?
Canon 6d
Tamron 24-70 f 2.8 vc
Canon 70-200 f 4
Canon 50 f 1.4
Roughly $2,500 in total

While old the 6D is still an excellent camera.
Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC is very good
Canon 70-200mm f4 is sharp but I would recommend the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC instead, its super sharp, fast focusing and yu will need the extra stop of light plus the better background separation.
Last think I would recommend a 35mm 1.8 lens instead or as an extra for the 50mm, in events 35mm is more suited to capture the people.

Now I don't want to burst your bubble but if you want to do photography as ful time profession you should know this is extremely tough, every 18 years old with a t3 that he got for Christmas thinks he is ready to shoot professionally so competition is fierce is asking prices are low.
As a sidw income this is very good, just my 2c

Good luck

Canon 70-200mm f4 is sharp but I would recommend the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC instead, its super sharp, fast focusing and you will need the extra stop of light plus the better background separation.
Last think I would recommend a 35mm 1.8 lens instead or as an extra for the 50mm, in events 35mm is more suited to capture the people.

Now I don't want to burst your bubble but if you want to do photography as full time profession you should know this is extremely tough, every 18 years old with a t3 that he got for Christmas thinks he is ready to shoot professionally so competition is fierce and asking prices are low.
As a side income this is very good, just my 2c

Good luck

Now I don't want to burst your bubble but if you want to do photography as full time profession you should know this is extremely tough, every 18 years old with a t3 that he got for Christmas thinks he is ready to shoot professionally so competition is fierce and asking prices are low.

Good luck
What he said!

I've been taking pictures for nearly 4 years and have been pursuing photography as a possible (one day) career. I feel I deserve the unparalleled quality that full frame L lenses provide. However, it's been eating away at me how much I'm about to spend to have enough gear for your average workflow. Is this the cheapest most effective setup for someone looking to make the leap? I'm currently shooting with a Rebel t5i. Would you guys recommend these products?
Canon 6d
Tamron 24-70 f 2.8 vc
Canon 70-200 f 4
Canon 50 f 1.4
Roughly $2,500 in total

If you just have the kit lens for the t5i, you could look at Nikon too. You could easily outfit yourself with a used D600 and all of the glass listed there (Nikon or Sigma versions).

A comparison: Compare the Canon EOS 6D vs the Nikon D600

The biggest difference for me would be the the autofocus (and maybe the low light performance), but the sensor is also rated better in the D600.

Of course, the 6D is still an excellent choice. You just could look at all options now if you don't have anything invested in full frame glass. Once you do, it's much harder to switch.

Canon 70-200mm f4 is sharp but I would recommend the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC instead, its super sharp, fast focusing and you will need the extra stop of light plus the better background separation.

Good luck
Thanks so much for the 2 cents. As quick as you replied I wish it had been a tad sooner. I've been contemplating this purchase for months and finally made the impulse decision last night. I'll definitely look into the Tamron's 70-200 and the 35 as future purchases. Believe me that was one of the biggest factors in "investing" into the equipment. "Will I be able to make my money back?". I'm honestly not sure if ill be able to, but it's exciting and I'm ready for the ride. I just won't be quitting my day job anytime soon. Thanks again

Good luck
Thanks so much for the 2 cents. As quick as you replied I wish it had been a tad sooner. I've been contemplating this purchase for months and finally made the impulse decision last night. I'll definitely look into the Tamron's 70-200 and the 35 as future purchases. Believe me that was one of the biggest factors in "investing" into the equipment. "Will I be able to make my money back?". I'm honestly not sure if ill be able to, but it's exciting and I'm ready for the ride. I just won't be quitting my day job anytime soon. Thanks again
Good luck :)

Canon 6d
Tamron 24-70 f 2.8 vc
Canon 70-200 f 4
Canon 50 f 1.4
Roughly $2,500 in total

If you just have the kit lens for the t5i, you could look at Nikon too. You could easily outfit yourself with a used D600 and all of the glass listed there (Nikon or Sigma versions).

A comparison: Compare the Canon EOS 6D vs the Nikon D600

The biggest difference for me would be the the autofocus (and maybe the low light performance), but the sensor is also rated better in the D600.

Of course, the 6D is still an excellent choice. You just could look at all options now if you don't have anything invested in full frame glass. Once you do, it's much harder to switch.
The autofocus and low light performance will definitely be a hurdle with the 6D but I'm loving it so far. If I ever do switch down the line I can see myself picking up a Sony with a EF to E adapter.

If you are going to make the jump to full frame i would try for more af points then on the 6d if possible. I just got the nikon d610 and although the autoficus is pretty cramped in the sensor more points are definitely useful and it focuses pretty fast even on what is probably my slowest lens. I have been really happy with the cokors coming out of it too.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Pick up an Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 for around $300, you will love it if you do any kind of portrait work. Mine stays on my 6D a lot.

I feel that you're making this way too difficult. It sounds like you've got the body now - awesome. Start small and slow - scour Ebay and photo resale sites for deals. Rent the super expensive lenses as you need them. For example, I do more portrait, product, and industrial - I rarely need a 70-200 2.8. When I do, I rent.

Good luck
I totally agree with the 35mm for FF. I think it is perfect for event groups. It is wide enough for most groups but long enough so as not to exaggerate perspectives.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back