Male Cardinal

First one is CRAZY sharp. Damn you have that lens dialed in! Really great shots as usual.:hail:

Your shots are always impressive. How did you capture that lighting on him in the first one? Great!

I'm guessing he used the sun light.

Coastal do you ever use flash extenders? I was considering purchasing one to help me with my bird photography. I just wondered if that is something that you ever use with your photos.

Shefjr is correct, natural morning sunlight when it is at a lower angle. I took this a few hours ago and the winter sun is seemingly always at a low angle..

Shef, I have tried a better Beamer that my friend let me borrow and I didn't like it. They are very floppy and sorta hard to control. I'm sticking to natural light. And yes they are shot wide open at f6.3 and the first one is barely cropped.. The Tammy is awesome lately!

CC, great shots as usual. I like the first one better than the second one.

WesternGuy

CC, you should approach Tamron about being a tester or something at least. You get such incredible sharpness from that lens, I almost feel like its as good or better than a Canon L lens sometimes! Very nice work sir!

Love the details in the feathers! what a nice shot!

CC, you should approach Tamron about being a tester or something at least. You get such incredible sharpness from that lens, I almost feel like its as good or better than a Canon L lens sometimes! Very nice work sir!

Yes. Yes, you should definitely do this. Then, when they start sending you lenses, you should send ME the one you have now. :D

These are awesome as usual--I've found cardinals to be some of the hardest of the "backyard" birds to get decent shots of. I either get the red exposed nicely and their eye is completely lost in all that black, or I get the eye exposed well and the red is nearly blown out.

I just took a couple yesterday that I thought might be decent enough to post...but now I've changed my mind. :lol:

Love them! We've had a pair in our hedge for a few years, but they never seem to sit still long enough for me to get them.

I too have had a hard time shooting the cardinals that appear in our backyard once in a while, they are so skittish, doesn't take much to spook them. Great images, thanks for sharing!

Thanks everyone! The cardinals are very elusive. I kind of use my grill as a blind. Wow I swear I'm not a red-neck :) I have only seen the cardinal a few times in the past couple of weeks. My crazy work schedule is finally over so I will be venturing out and about a bit more in the next few days. I'm hopeful of finding some owls or eagles. My backyard birds over the past 2 weeks I have been using a tripod and I can only shoot for about an hour so the light is pretty good. Make sure the sun is behind you! I have been switching back and forth between matriz and spot metering, but these were both matrix. I think filling the frame as much as possible helps because it fills the cameras with the reds...
I keep giving Tamron some hints that I should be a field tester for them, but they don't seem to listen :( Especially with the rumors they had a patent on a 150-600 VC USD lens. That would be fun.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back