Mama mia, Here I go again.

Bram

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Bergen op Zoom, Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright how we doing today TPF? I'm just dandy thank you for asking.

(clever thread title? I know.)

Alright anywho, in my previous thread I asked what would you do? Buy the Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 VRII or not?

Somebody proposed to me to save that same money and upgrade both body and lens. That got me thinking hmmm. This individual mentioned a D300, I thought hmmsame price roughly and I could get the brand spankin' new D7000. So if you were me with this money to spend on gear. What would you do now. Keep saving for this VRII lens or do as this person told me. Upgrade my lens to a 80-200 2.8 AF lens and a D300/D7k.
A used D300 will run me a little over a grand and the D7k about the same.

I looked at the specs of both bodies and i'm kind of in AWE mode. Both are dream bodies for me, I know it's sad but still.

Let me know what you think. Thank you.

the D7K isnt out yet when it does come out, the prices on the used D300 will drop to reflect the D7K's market entry...

either way, you've been on the D40x for some time, either body is going to seem like a miracle drug for all your creative ideas. if you can get both...get both...

but if you are saving up for both...it shouldnt matter if you get the lens now and the body later? if you keep saving after the lens purchase..

the D7K isnt out yet when it does come out, the prices on the used D300 will drop to reflect the D7K's market entry...

either way, you've been on the D40x for some time, either body is going to seem like a miracle drug for all your creative ideas. if you can get both...get both...

but if you are saving up for both...it shouldnt matter if you get the lens now and the body later? if you keep saving after the lens purchase..

I know it hasn't been released yet just speculating since Amazon as already posted prices, not sure I understand what you mean by both.
By both do you mean both the bodies or both the D300 and the 80-200 2.8 lens?
I was looking at saving for both body and lens yes. I wa shoping to go for the body first then the lens shortly after.

i assumed you knew, what im saying is, wait on the D7K to actually hit the market and the prices of used/new D300s will drop to reflect it. when ti comes out, the D300s shouldn't be going for just over 1K but be a bit less if they find themselves evenly priced with a brand new D7K...

lol yes both as in camera and lens...

if you can wait for the D7K to come out first, then get the lens now and wait for the price drop on the D300s and get a brand new lens to play around with for now...

That would be great yes, I think if I do get the lens now it won't AF with my D40x. Since it only takes AF-S and AF-I lenses. Just that will probably frustrate me, trying to shoot sports in manual for me is never a walk in the park. Then saving for the D300s maybe. I see now that the D300"S" is about 1700, do you really think it will drop to under a grand? The D300 "reg" is now a little over a thousand.

amazon lists the D7000 as 1200USD (body only) brand new...

the specs out perform the D90 by miles and beats the D300s in many ways. the D300 and D300s will both show significant price drops (esp used)...not sure if the price you mentioned was for used or new. realistically, the D300(s) cannot find themselves pricing too far above the D7000 if they want to sell (whether new or used) - but then thats my common sense mentality...

Ah gotcha. So since the D7k out performs (as far as we know right now) the D300(s) should I wait for that to be released or go for the D300(s). I'm still contemplating because I really like some of the specs on the D7k.

outperforms it in some areas, not all, but enough for it to matter in terms of how i would sell a used D300 or even a new one that has been lying around in stock.

like i said, you have a D40x, either cam would be a godsend. go for the D7K imo, this way you will be on cutting edge instead of a gen behind (again hehe)

Bodies can be upgraded every other year as new tech is always coming out.
Pro line lenses can last a helluva longer time.

Get the lens now, worry about the body when you have the money. Sure, in candy land, we'd all love to upgrade a lens and a body at the same time, but in reality, not all of us have that free cash. If it means that you have to wait another year before buying anything in order to get the cash for both, then just get the lens now and enjoy it.

I think people get way to hung up on bodies. Dont get my wrong, there comes a time to upgrade a body. But most people dont know why they want to upgrade other than its new. I kept my Rebel for 2 years and had no real plans to upgrade until my photography path brought me to shooting things in lower light (concerts, weddings,...) where flash isn't always allowed. This is was brought me to upgrade... it was a tangible need, not just a nice in case I would need to.

outperforms it in some areas, not all, but enough for it to matter in terms of how i would sell a used D300 or even a new one that has been lying around in stock.

like i said, you have a D40x, either cam would be a godsend. go for the D7K imo, this way you will be on cutting edge instead of a gen behind (again hehe)

Heh thanks for the input really appreciate it.

Bodies can be upgraded every other year as new tech is always coming out.
Pro line lenses can last a helluva longer time.

Get the lens now, worry about the body when you have the money. Sure, in candy land, we'd all love to upgrade a lens and a body at the same time, but in reality, not all of us have that free cash. If it means that you have to wait another year before buying anything in order to get the cash for both, then just get the lens now and enjoy it.

I think people get way to hung up on bodies. Dont get my wrong, there comes a time to upgrade a body. But most people dont know why they want to upgrade other than its new. I kept my Rebel for 2 years and had no real plans to upgrade until my photography path brought me to shooting things in lower light (concerts, weddings,...) where flash isn't always allowed. This is was brought me to upgrade... it was a tangible need, not just a nice in case I would need to.

Thanks for the input aswell Bigtwinky. One issue that i have if I were to upgrade to the 80-200 2.8, I have no auto focus motor that will allow this lens to AF on my D40x. Which for me, shooting sports mostly with this lens. So shooting sports on manual for me isn't really ideal to say the least.

I'm not fully into the Nikon focus motor thing, as Canons dont have that issue.

If shooting sports is your thing, and the 70-200 has the motor and the 80-200 does not, then I'd get the 70-200. I had a crappy 50-200. I upgraded to a 70-300 in February. 2 months later, I picked up the 70-200. I should never have gone to the 70-300. Great lens, sharp and all that, but it does not have the constant wide aperture I needed with the shooting I was doing. Thought I'd be ok, middle of the road, cheaper alternative.

Now I'm looking at upgrading my Tamron 28-75. Some say a 17-40 f/4 would be good in combo with my 70-200. But its an f/4. While constant, its still f/4. I'll wait till I have more money for the 24-70.

Aperture isn't your issue, but thought I'd make a parallel with what I know :)

All good points yes. My first issue was saving for the 70-200mm 2.8 VRII for the cdn price of $2,639.69. Then somebody mentioned why don't you upgrade your body to a D300 and get the 80-200 2.8 and save yourself $300.00. So that's where I am now.

I just picked up another D3, so I will be offering for sale a used, very well cared for, low shutter count Nikon D300 (15,130 actuations as of right now) that includes the original box, Nikon EN-EL3e battery, cables, charger, and manual - in the TPF Buy/Sell forum (with photos) next week for $1025 USD, including USPS CONUS shipping. Add $15 for Postal Service shipping to Canada. This D300 is in pristine, LN- condition.

If you want a spare battery, I'll add a 2nd, Nikon En-EL3e battery for only $25 more. (a $40 value)

Note: None of the following state the shutter count, or include shipping:

Today at Amazon.com there is a D300 from a private seller (Used - Good)for $1050.00 plus shipping . Amazon.com: Nikon D300 DX 12.3MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only): Camera & Photo

B&H has a used one (8+ - Shows moderate wear or finish marks) for $1049.00. Used Nikon D300 SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) 25432 - B&H

KEH has one rated - BGN ("Bargain" 70-79% of original condition. Shows more than average wear.) for $1079 and another as LN- condition for $1269.00. - KEH.com

KEH.com - The Photographer's Marketplace | Grades

Most, LN (Like New) used D300's are going for $1250.00 to $1300.00

PM me if you, or anyone else, are interested in this D300.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hmm KmH that's a very tempting deal right there. Another thing with me though is: I am a student and a new car right now is priority so I won't be upgrading for another 2 months or so to say the least I just want to prepare myself for when the time comes. By then the D7k will be released and those prices will have hopefully dropped to my liking.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back