I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently purchased a mamiya M645 1000s. I was very excited about trying out medium format.
unfortunately, there were some issues with the camera where it would not advance the film properly.
It appeared to be an issue with the pin that "senses" the film as it moves past the shutter. anyway...I had purchased the camera from a little second hand store that mostly deals in old camera equipment. the owner has a local guy that does repair work on older cameras, and he took it for a few days but could not get it to consistently work properly.
The owner was very nice about the whole thing and let me return the camera for a full refund.

the mamiya was pretty heavy, but i liked the overall feel of it with the prism viewfinder. (especially with a grip on it)
I still want to give medium format a try, but i DO NOT like waist level shooting (thats why we sold the Rolleiflex)
should I pick up another mamiya 645? KEH has plenty in stock that aren't very expensive. or are their some similarly priced alternatives I should look at since I get a purchase redo? i was looking at the M645's for their price, and the mamiya AF versions are to expensive for me to "try out" medium format with. I am not interested in a TLR.

Are you totally opposed to something like a Bronica 645 ? I got a 645 ETRS with metered finder, 120 back, speedgrip, and other misc. goodies for $250 recently. You can find these at that kind of price pretty regularly if you seek out craigslist and ebay. Mamiya 645s are great of course. assuming you find one in good working condition.

Are you totally opposed to something like a Bronica 645 ? I got a 645 ETRS with metered finder, 120 back, speedgrip, and other misc. goodies for $250 recently. You can find these at that kind of price pretty regularly if you seek out craigslist and ebay. Mamiya 645s are great of course. assuming you find one in good working condition.

Im not stuck on a mamiya, i just liked that style for the price range.

Mamiya is one sexy sexy camera... :)
It's true.

Mamiya_645-0065.jpg

I found my only problem with my, new to me, 645 1000s was totally operator failure. The camera works great. I bought a 645 body from KEH for $69 EX condition when it looked like I had a problem. It is heavy with a grip, lens. and a Prism Finder. The more I use it, the less the weight bothers me. It wasn't completely neccesary but I still refoamed it. Easy job, $10.00 for material. camerasealkits.com. The CDS meter is close to perfect. Matches my Gosen Lunasix, with good negatives.

I found my only problem with my, new to me, 645 1000s was totally operator failure. The camera works great. I bought a 645 body from KEH for $69 EX condition when it looked like I had a problem. It is heavy with a grip, lens. and a Prism Finder. The more I use it, the less the weight bothers me. It wasn't completely neccesary but I still refoamed it. Easy job, $10.00 for material. camerasealkits.com. The CDS meter is close to perfect. Matches my Gosen Lunasix, with good negatives.

I loved mine, but it definitely had some sort of mechanical issue. May try to replace it with the same model.

Most reactions

Back