What's new

Mamiya M645 or Nikon F4

jakezori

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Location
State College PA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking for a good full frame camera, but I have no where near enough money for a 5D or anything of that level. I have a 50d digital atm and it treats me well, but I would love to get some more experience with film and a feel for full frame. Which camera would you suggest? Which one provides a better end picture?
 
You are comparing apples to oranges. One is a 35mm camera the other is a medium format camera.
 
The Mamiya will produce better files than a DSLR if you know how to use it and you can also get a digital back for it
 
You are still going to have to get lenses for either. Nikon will give you a far greater range of focal lengths and speeds, as well as price ranges. You also will get 24 to 36 exposures per roll of film and 135 film is more widely dispersed.

Mamiya only made pro grade lenses for their medium format cameras and there are fewer of them. You will also only get 16 shots per roll of 120 film.

Minolta will far exceed the quality of negative you'll get than from a small format camera (Nikon).
 
Last edited:
minolta?
also, thoughts on a Toyo 45CX View Camera?
 
I have both a Mamiya 645 AFD and an F5 in my arsenal. I like them both, but for very different purposes. Shooting with the F4 will really not be very much different from shooting with your current camera except that you won't have the instant gratification you get from your rear LCD. Shooting the MF, even though 645 is small MF, is a whole different ballgame. That's what I get out when I want to go out and relax with a camera. I might spend four hours in a location, and only shoot 1 roll of film.

As mentioned, 120 film isn't readily available any more except in "real" camera stores and on-line. Processing is pricey and usually requires a lengthy wait (Typically I pay about $20 for development and a proof-sheet, and turn-around time is 10-12 business days). Scanning isn't cheap either; a service with a good drum scanner (high enough resolution to make the whole process worthwhile) is going to run $6-10 PER NEGATIVE! You can get digital backs, but they're pricey, and with a 645 (non-AFD model) you need a special (and VERY expensive) adapter plate. The cheapest decent backs will run $3-5000 used.

I keep both around primarily for black and white. No matter how good software gets, no one will ever convince me that digital images can produce as good a B&W as Delta 100 or FP4!
 
Sorry, read the edit above.

Large format is in another strata altogether.

Maybe you should tell us what you want to shoot.

I shoot a large variety of things, though I mostly do portraiture and still life shots. I never shoot landscapes though. I am trying to stay on the cheap end of things as I really don't have much to spend. I am also looking at the Mamiya C330 and the Sinar A1. Quite honestly the Mamiya C330 looks like it may fit my needs the best, but I'm not expert enough to say (and thats why im here).
 
The only drawback to the 330 is the difficulty (and expense) in getting lenses. There were very few lenses made for it, and while they are very good, they are limited. For portraiture and still life, it would be fine, depending on the lens. The M645 with removable backs however would give you the added flexibility of being able to change film in mid-shoot without having to waste any.
 
It sounds as though you might want to look into a Bronica Bronica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as well. Although I've never owned one, I've heard really good things about them and they are fairly inexpensive.

Also, there is a film section here. Drop by there and look up processing your own negatives and scanning them.
 
Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks so much for all the help. I do intend to do a lot more research before buying anything. I'd like to do color and black and white shooting. As for prints, I plan on using northcoastphoto.com (unless there is an amazing scanner than is fairly cheap). Right now I'm looking into the Mamiya RB67 the most, but I will continue to look around.
Are there any websites you would suggest for general information (lens compatibility, film development, camera reviews, etc.) on Large Format/Medium Format cameras?
 
If u shoot medium format youll want to develop and scan yourself, otherwise youll run out of $$ fast.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom