Manaheim's Guide to Getting Comments on Your Pictures

I don't think letting on about what your intentions were in taking any particular photos is necessarily a good thing. When I post, I prefer not to say too much, or even not to say anything, so that any response isn't influenced by my own thoughts on my own work - I want to hear how others see it.

When I read a poem, I don't want to hear what the poet has to say about it: I want to try and unlock the meaning for myself and to discover what it means to me. If I already know what it's all about, then there's really little point in my spending any time reading it. Life is too short.

The debate on colouring views by casting your own (as the photographers) first is one that I think does cause differences of opinion - but its one that I think changes its importance during a photographers development.

During the key learning period (and this can last years) I think its important to state your opinion of your own work. To first and foremost be able to critically view and present that view to others. This teaches you to both look at your photos with a more discerning eye and it also shows others how experienced your eye is. It can show that whilst you might be assessing the photo correctly for what you know, that you might also have a lacking of understanding in key areas, which without input/correction will constantly hold one back.

Secondly its showing how you think, what you think, why you think and how you've executed the shot. This is, again, important because its telling others what you want to show with your photos. Its outlining the direction you, as a photographer, want to go in. Others can agree or disagree and give their influence and advise on the photo and the direction and also how close you are to getting the direction you want to be going in.
If you fail to state this you run the risk that the advise you get back isn't taking you in the direction you want to go; but in the common direction most other people go with the subject/situation.

As you learn more and gain a better understanding and a greater amount of proper confidence, then I agree that letting photos speak for themselves is a good thing - because at this point you can read peoples comments more clearly.

Bottom line: You can follow all the advice you want, but if the image is not amazing or completely different in some way, or if you are not in the "A Crowd" on this forum, you will not get any comments. Period. That's just how it is.

Bottom line: You can follow all the advice you want, but if the image is not amazing or completely different in some way, or if you are not in the "A Crowd" on this forum, you will not get any comments. Period. That's just how it is.

Same as on any forum on any internet in the world ;)
Posting, even if you post correctly, is no (and never has been) a guarantee to getting feedback. If you want that, chances are, you'll have to pay for it.

Advice like this and the one in my signature go to trying to help people in being able to get comments by presenting the best possible display; especially for new people to the community. In fact I'd like to think we try to cater toward new members pretty well here on the site.

I don't think letting on about what your intentions were in taking any particular photos is necessarily a good thing. When I post, I prefer not to say too much, or even not to say anything, so that any response isn't influenced by my own thoughts on my own work - I want to hear how others see it.

When I read a poem, I don't want to hear what the poet has to say about it: I want to try and unlock the meaning for myself and to discover what it means to me. If I already know what it's all about, then there's really little point in my spending any time reading it. Life is too short.

Hmmmm...I see whats going on here! I blame the blunder on Manny.

See, Fred, I agree with you. When you (in general) have put a good to great deal of thought into the image in regards to content, composition, lighting, etc...You post it to see what people think about it. I am seeing this (now) as two different kinds of threads we are all talking about here. A general comment (what do you think about this) thread, and a general (I'm trying to learn all this stuff) critique thread.

So, Mr. Mannaheim, which is this thread about? Getting comments for the "I want your opinions" threads, or the "HELP! I wanna get better" threads?
I think your bullet points may change for one or the other.

Another two bullet points may be added:

• Put adequate space between your images! It makes viewing them more pleasurable.
  • After hitting the "Post Reply" button, re-read your post. Use the edit button as needed to fix errors. Doing so will make you look smarter! When you look smart, more people will want to talk to you!

Last edited:
One smart thing could be to look at the picture, make up your mind and then look at the photographer's own opinions?

So you are saying this forum needs [ spoiler ] tags?

Indeed. I've mentioned it in the suggestion part, but my posts rarely get any replies there :)
Manaheim, make another thread for those threads!!

Hmmmm...I see whats going on here! I blame the blunder on Manny.

See, Fred, I agree with you. When you (in general) have put a good to great deal of thought into the image in regards to content, composition, lighting, etc...You post it to see what people think about it. I am seeing this (now) as two different kinds of threads we are all talking about here. A general comment (what do you think about this) thread, and a general (I'm trying to learn all this stuff) critique thread.

So, Mr. Mannaheim, which is this thread about? Getting comments for the "I want your opinions" threads, or the "HELP! I wanna get better" threads?
I think your bullet points may change for one or the other.

Another two bullet points may be added:
  • Put adequate space between your images! It makes viewing them more pleasurable.
  • After hitting the "Post Reply" button, re-read your post. Use the edit button as needed to fix errors. Doing so will make you look smarter! When you look smart, more people will want to talk to you!

Yyyyeah, I think you're right. I think I kinda merged the two... I mean, my main and original intent was to give people advice on how to get any sort of feedback at all, so I guess it was essentially intentional. I wasn't distinguishing between the two because I felt that the real question was how to get feedback of any kind, but I see that there are different elements that come into play more or less depending on what kind of feedback you might be looking for.

This also explains my position on the "don't try to give a sense of what you were trying to achieve" vs. some of you stating that you should very much do that.

DO OVER! :lol:

I think the other confusion is that this is in beginners - thus some of us are probably thinking along beginner lines as well ;)

Ps how to really get comments - say something controversial ;)

In addition to what Over said, maybe consider this alternate way of looking at it...

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't really respond to people's posts based upon their name. Truth be told, I'm TERRIBLE with people's names on forums and it usually takes me quite a while before I even remember someone. They have to stand out in some way or another. That usually takes time. If you're new, you're less likely to have established yourself and made an impression, and what's more is you're likely less "practiced" at getting folks attention to begin with. This is VERY much what I was trying to help out with (if I can) through this thread. Your comment is EXACTLY the kind of comment that inspired it.

However, one thing I probably should have put in the bulleted list... maybe the most IMPORTANT thing... "Be patient."

So, we are dealing with a continuum of skill here, from no knowledge/experience to much experience and/or talent and/or skill. And posting an image is an invitation to view and comment. But what kind of comments are appropriate? That depends.

When judging or critiquing, I generally ignore the verbiage and concentrate on the image itself. What’s the impact of the image? What emotions do I feel? What grabs my attention?

In a second pass, I try to understand why the image exists – why did the photographer create the image in the first place.

In the third pass, I look for the underlying technical and compositional elements that link intent with effect. This focuses on the “how” the intent was carried out. With great images, you don’t dwell on the “how”, unless you’re trying to replicate that success.

Good imagery usually has a main theme or visual, with the extraneous pared away, and supporting/reinforcing elments arranged to give context to, or support to the main visual theme. Good images give a strong response on the first pass, making the second self-obvious. A good image is an invitation to a dance or an intimate conversation. You are not in a hurry to move on. You want to relish the moment.

Poor images, on the other hand, generally create little or no involvment with the viewer. Or it tries so, so hard, and utterly fails, leaving us indifferent, or shaking our heads in pity. Poor images can be loud, or clumsy, or awkward or just plain confusing and jumbled. So, if you judge that the maker of the image is just inexperienced and unaware, then you can try to help them by discering their intent and showing them how to achieve the goal. Which is why, especially for beginners, it is useful to know what they saw (the “why” of the image’s existence), and how they went about making their vision an image (the technical “how”).

I am pretty sure that good images don't need commentary. You experience them. Maybe not the way the photographer had in mind, but that's OK. A good image doesn't need a photographer hovering in the background... it can stand on its own feet just fine.

Poor images, on the other hand, don't make the reason for their existence clear and obvious. So help from the photographer is needed, if for no other reason than to provide context and give us a clue.

Most reactions

Back