Manaheim's Guide to Getting Comments on Your Pictures

Everything exists within some form of context. It seems that images that are posted with absolutely minimal text or introduction will receive very similarly skimpy replies. Images posted with more context tend to receive replies that are more in-depth or simply a greater number of replies than bare-bones, photo-only posts receive.

Posting photos with introductory or prefatory text AND a question or two seems to generate the most commentary.

Poor images, on the other hand, generally create little or no involvment with the viewer. Or it tries so, so hard, and utterly fails, leaving us indifferent, or shaking our heads in pity. Poor images can be loud, or clumsy, or awkward or just plain confusing and jumbled. So, if you judge that the maker of the image is just inexperienced and unaware, then you can try to help them by discering their intent and showing them how to achieve the goal. Which is why, especially for beginners, it is useful to know what they saw (the “why” of the image’s existence), and how they went about making their vision an image (the technical “how”).

Poor images, on the other hand, don't make the reason for their existence clear and obvious. So help from the photographer is needed, if for no other reason than to provide context and give us a clue.

This is so true.

Several times, I have responded that I had no idea what the OP wanted me to look at.
Interestingly, my comments elicited either no or very negative responses.

And I just give up.

Everything exists within some form of context. It seems that images that are posted with absolutely minimal text or introduction will receive very similarly skimpy replies. Images posted with more context tend to receive replies that are more in-depth or simply a greater number of replies than bare-bones, photo-only posts receive.

Posting photos with introductory or prefatory text AND a question or two seems to generate the most commentary.

But to be useful the text must be about the picture, not about the OP's life situation or similar unrelated issues.
I don't care that this is a picture of his/her old granny etc.

....They have to stand out in some way or another. That usually takes time. ....
Hello. Pleasure to meet ya. My name is kundalini, but on the weekends my name is Mandy. :sexywink:

Splish-Splash-1-XL.jpg

:biglaugh:

But to be useful the text must be about the picture, not about the OP's life situation or similar unrelated issues.
I don't care that this is a picture of his/her old granny etc.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Captain_Obvious

whoa oh oh ohhhhh maaaaaaaaaaaandy...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back