Manaheim's Kitchen Remodel 2012

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Why 2012? Because I expect it to be a total disaster and I'll have to redo it in 2013. (KIDDING!)

Anyway, I did pour on my usual "real estate skills" for these shots, so technically if you'd like to c/c me, you're welcome. However, I put them here because I kinda slacked on cleaning up the clutter in the kitchen because these were really mostly for us to remember "what was".

Anyway, I figured some might be interested to watch as things moved along.

==1==
Kitchen%20Remodel%20-%20Before%20-%20003-010%20-%20Tonemapped.jpg

==2==
Kitchen%20Remodel%20-%20Before%20-%20013-021%20-%20Tonemapped.jpg

==3==
Kitchen%20Remodel%20-%20Before%20-%20029-038%20-%20Tonemapped.jpg

==4==
Kitchen%20Remodel%20-%20Before%20-%20040.jpg

Your kitchen needs more cat in it - but otherwise looks good! :)

Nice! Remodeling is fun :D What are your plans for this huge kitchen with awesome windows?

We're going to replace the windows. :lol: Same size, just nicer looking.

We're also going to tear off that peninsula and turn it into an island. Replace all the cabinets... white on the perimeter, dark cherry island. Granite countertops. A couple small glass cabinets up top on the "fridge wall". Change to a cooktop/in-wall oven/micro combination. Mantle-like hood over cooktop. New cabinets will go to the ceiling. In-cabinet/under-cabinet lighting. Recessed lighting in ceiling. Rusticish looking wood floors. Ummmm... bigger mouldings on doors and windows. Oh! We're putting a "charging station" inside one of the cabinets, so all the ipods and iphones and such will have someplace to hide and we won't have to stare at them. Granite countertops.

I think that's it? :lol:

Your kitchen needs more cat in it - but otherwise looks good! :)

Oh there's a cat in every single one of those shots, trust me. I just managed to move the camera enough so you couldn't see them. :) With 4 maine coon cats in the house, having a cat present is almost unavoidable. :)

Holy moly! That wide angle makes the distance from the kitchen to anywhere look long enough that you'll get hungry all over again just by the time you get from here to there!

Yeah that Sigma 10mm is still my main worker-bee lens. It does some nice stuff. I really do need to get an FX replacement, though so I can use the D800 instead of the D300 for this kind of stuff.

My sister-in-law and her husband recently completed a kitchen upgrade from a 1950's style kitchen. It started as a $30K design, which increased to $45K when they decided that one wall had to go, and eventually ended up at $85K by the time all the unforseen but necessary work ended up being done. A house is a system, and changes in one part of the system almost always require changes upstream and downstream, some of which can be anticipated, but lots gets found out as the work progresses. Whatever you've budgetted for, it would be prudent to be able to pay for up to 100% more.

The floor in #3, uh, kind of looks like the side of the Matterhorn ;) Kind of sloping down a bit to the left, I think. I know, wide angle lenses and keystone correction.

Otherwise very nice. I actually like things the way they are now compared to mine ;)

Good luck to you, I have been a Kitchen Designer for 30 years. I taught design for 12 years, I'm back to pretty much private practice and other general remodeling as well. I'd be happy to give you any advice if you need it.

manaheim said:
Yeah that Sigma 10mm is still my main worker-bee lens. It does some nice stuff. I really do need to get an FX replacement, though so I can use the D800 instead of the D300 for this kind of stuff.

14-24!!!!

Oh my gawd--what a messy kitchen! I think 95% of TPF'ers would like you to come over to their houses and make their kitchens equally messy! I mean cvap--that backpack is hanging crooked!!!!! And, and, and........uh....there's a blue dishtowel there!!! IN THE KITCHEN!!!!! We need amolitor to come into this thread and start talking about "American kitchen tropes" and stuff like that! Yeah! [waiting, waiting...waaaaiting....]

Looks quite alright!

My sister-in-law and her husband recently completed a kitchen upgrade from a 1950's style kitchen. It started as a $30K design, which increased to $45K when they decided that one wall had to go, and eventually ended up at $85K by the time all the unforseen but necessary work ended up being done. A house is a system, and changes in one part of the system almost always require changes upstream and downstream, some of which can be anticipated, but lots gets found out as the work progresses. Whatever you've budgetted for, it would be prudent to be able to pay for up to 100% more.

Hahaha... we've done kitchens before and we know this house pretty well. We also have a fixed price quote with a very experienced contractor. I think we're about as well positioned to make this work as we can be. That said, we budgeted about 10% over what our current expenses are just to be sure. 100% is... um... a lot. :lol: Basically if we spent that much on a kitchen in this house, we'd be pretty much out of our gourd. :) We'll see!

The floor in #3, uh, kind of looks like the side of the Matterhorn ;) Kind of sloping down a bit to the left, I think. I know, wide angle lenses and keystone correction.

Otherwise very nice. I actually like things the way they are now compared to mine ;)

hahah... yeah, gotta love those huge wide angles, right? Can minimize it a bit by camera position, but wanted the higher-level view.

In truth, lots of people who hear we are remodeling are like "uh, that's a nice kitchen... why are you remodeling?" I mean it's "fine", but it's pretty dated, dark, and the tile is HORRIBLE. Also, we're probably spoiled from having our last kitchen...

Lancaster%20Kitchen.jpg

Ugh... my GOD that was a nice house. I so desperately miss so many elements of that place.

Good luck to you, I have been a Kitchen Designer for 30 years. I taught design for 12 years, I'm back to pretty much private practice and other general remodeling as well. I'd be happy to give you any advice if you need it.

Thanks very much! I appreciate that!

manaheim said:

14-24!!!!

hehehe... yup, it's on the list. In fact, it's quite literally the LAST thing on my list, which is pretty amazing.

Oh my gawd--what a messy kitchen! I think 95% of TPF'ers would like you to come over to their houses and make their kitchens equally messy! I mean cvap--that backpack is hanging crooked!!!!! And, and, and........uh....there's a blue dishtowel there!!! IN THE KITCHEN!!!!! We need amolitor to come into this thread and start talking about "American kitchen tropes" and stuff like that! Yeah! [waiting, waiting...waaaaiting....]

Looks quite alright!

hahahahah... yeah what's with the "trope" thing?

Anyway, yeah, well... see that pic of our last kithen? THAT was clean, man. :) I'm pretty anal about clean kitchens. There can be clutter all over my office, but I HATE it in the kitchen. :)

What a wonderful kitchen!! Looks beautiful, the cabinets and its colors are amazing. Kitchen is considered to be a heart of any home for a number of activities. Hence it is important to maintain its shine and gleam all the time. The only best way to do this job is to consider kitchen remodeling which is a real fun and excitement. :)

Last edited:
Terrible, you need to rip out the center island an put in a nacho/waffle bar.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back