Manfrotto Super Clamp 035- New vs Old

Mystery

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to put together some modular studio setups with pipe/poles and super clamps. Looking around at Super Clamps online, I see the used ones hold their value very well. Wondering why, I looked into it further and see that the style has slightly changed over the years. I see the newest style has a plastic handle on the mechanism, while the older ones have an all metal design, even the tightening knobs, which are now plastic. Reviews say the plastic parts on the new ones are very heavy duty and durable, but I have doubts about the plastic. I am wondering if anyone who owns both styles can say which one is better before I drop a couple hundred dollars on a bunch of them.

I think all of mine are "new" design. I've never had any issues with the plastic parts, and while I don't abuse my gear, I tend to work it hard. These seem to be made to the usual [current] reasonably high quality that I expect from Manfrotto.

Thanks for the reply. I assumed the quality would be excellent and not likely to fail. I just tend to feel better about products that don't have plastic. Also, I noticed the old clamps have more of a compact knob to tighten, compared to the new ones that have the larger swing arm style knob. I assume the arm is easier to tighten, but it seems like it could potentially be too big to turn if the clamp is right up against something else in a tight space.

pretty sure mine's all metal.

... it could potentially be too big to turn if the clamp is right up against something else in a tight space.
Not a problem; the handle is on a spline shaft. You can "lift" it up turn it backwards, set it down on the splines and turn. All you need are about 15 degrees and while it might take a while, you can tighten it as much as you need.

I bought a pretty good generic superclamp a year ago from PrpPhoto SUpply in Portland. It was wayyyyyy less money, and very robust. I looked on-line and there are variants of the superclamp, including this one for $10.99 Amazon.com : ePhoto Articulating Magic Friction Arm Small Super Clamp For Dslr rig LCD Monitor RigClamp : Camera & Photo

I see this has a THREADED receiver in both 1/4x20 and also 3/8 thread, which would, in some ways, actually be better than the "blank" receiver designed to accept drop-in spigots. As far as the "plastic" and the lift-and-ratchet type tighteners, as Tirediron mentioned, those lift and then turn, so that the wrenching effect can be applied in almost any space available. And also, they seem to be very strong. It's not just plain, cheap plastic, but is actually pretty durable high-strength polymer material.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, I guess since it has the spring in it to pull up and spin, tight spaces aren't as big a deal as I thought. Heck, I have a Glock and it's plastic, er...polymer! So, I guess the new plastic ones are fine.

I bought a pretty good generic superclamp a year ago from PrpPhoto SUpply in Portland. It was wayyyyyy less money, and very robust. I looked on-line and there are variants of the superclamp, including this one for $10.99 Amazon.com : ePhoto Articulating Magic Friction Arm Small Super Clamp For Dslr rig LCD Monitor RigClamp : Camera & Photo

Derrel, I have had such bad luck with budget knock-offs that I really hesitate to buy something like that. But if you say you've had good luck with generic ones, maybe I'll take another consideration to look at something other than the Manfrotto. I'll look at reviews to see if there is another option. Thanks for the recommendation.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back