Manfrotto Tripod.. Cheap..Carbon Fiber...Light...Small, I have to have one! Thoughts?

Nikon_Josh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Manfrotto MY 3WHEAD 4SC KIT SZ3 CF - A3RC1

Just saw this deal, was stunned by how good it seems. I'm getting myself one, I don't know if this deal extends to the US.

Would like to know what the experts think of this??

I've always wanted a portable tripod that is well built and light. Carbon Fibre seemed a distant dream, it's only limitation is it's height. As a 6ft3 guy I may have to slouch a bit but ah well, I can live with it, genuinely excited here.

It's definitely a good price-point for a set of CF legs, looking at it, I think it would be a bit light-duty for an SLR, especially if you're using a larger zoom or fast tele prime. Four-section legs tend to add a lot of flexibility as well. I use a LOT of Manfrotto gear, and I think it's an excellent value for the money, but this, I think is one of their offerings aimed at the more entry-level market. It would be an okay second or third tripod, or if you needed something for travel, but as a main support, especially for a taller person? I would suggest keep saving. Look to something more like the 190 Pro.

Max height with center column down 125.5 cm

Load capacity 3.5kg

Would disqualify this tripod from my consideration, even as a travel tripod.

4 leg sections diiminishes stabillity, and they don't even say what the leg section diameters are. No weight hook. no leg warmers, no carry bag. no tool kit.

Visit www.giottos.com

It's definitely a good price-point for a set of CF legs, looking at it, I think it would be a bit light-duty for an SLR, especially if you're using a larger zoom or fast tele prime. Four-section legs tend to add a lot of flexibility as well. I use a LOT of Manfrotto gear, and I think it's an excellent value for the money, but this, I think is one of their offerings aimed at the more entry-level market. It would be an okay second or third tripod, or if you needed something for travel, but as a main support, especially for a taller person? I would suggest keep saving. Look to something more like the 190 Pro.

You make some interesting points.. this is exactly why I thought I'd run it by you guys before I jumped in!

I guess my thoughts were more a portable and light landscape/macro tripod. I understand this is by no means a PRO tripod but I guess my first thought is it's a tripod I will happily take out all the time, I am not really the tripod hugging type! I prefer to go out as light as possible, despite being big and ugly enough to carry heavy gear. I just think it can become a hinderance.. so I'm hoping this will serve a purpose for trekking around the place.

Max height with center column down 125.5 cm

Load capacity 3.5kg

Would disqualify this tripod from my consideration, even as a travel tripod.

4 leg sections diiminishes stabillity, and they don't even say what the leg section diameters are. No weight hook. no leg warmers, no carry bag. no tool kit.

Visit www.giottos.com

Thanks Keith, you are right. This tripod isn't what I call a tripod that means business. But as they say never a free lunch?

I guess I can be rest assured thought that the tripod will be well built and fairly sturdy, it's Manfrotto after all.

won't hold much weight . but Keith has nailed it down for you.

When I saw your title I had to take a peak as that is not possible *at least for serious work*
I understand we all wish this could be true;

Thanks Keith, you are right. This tripod isn't what I call a tripod that means business. But as they say never a free lunch?

I guess I can be rest assured thought that the tripod will be well built and fairly sturdy, it's Manfrotto after all.

Since they don't say what the leg diameters are, who can tell if it will be sturdy.

Many tout Manfrotto, but many who do have never used anything else. I have used, and have observed being used, various brands and models of tripod, and I never recommend Manfrotto products because I don't believe Manfrotto tripods give sufficient value for their cost. Some of their tripod heads are good values.

Most reactions

Back