Manual aperature with old lenses???

firemedic0135

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can you adjust the aperature manually with the old MD mount lenses for minoltas.Recently aquired and adapter cheap and gonna give it a whirl since you can get some really nice glass super cheap for the old MD mount.

Yes, you can adjust the aperture manually. Can I ask about the adapter, does it contain a glass element? If so, it will probably act as a teleconverter and may reduce image quality. If not, you probably won't be able to focus on infinity. Just thought I should mention that as there are all sorts of cheap adapters (especially on Ebay) but there is often a catch, since some lens mounts don't work well together.

I am unsure if it has glass.I saw others the same kind selling for upwards of 125 bux and I cought it on ebay for 15.00 and thought I would give it a whirl.Thought it might be a good option for some macro and portrait with a old lens.If I dont like it I will just sell it.Yeah it has md/maxxum printed on the side so I think it should work but even if it doesnt I am only out 20 bux.Will get a cheap lens to try it first(50mm prob about 10 bux) and then go from there.

I bought a complete set of bodies and lenses for the old system minolta. What it sounds like you have is the adapter to use md mount lenses on your maxxima camera. If that is right you will have to manually focus them as well as set the aperture. Lots of really good glass cheap in the minolta line for some reason. Seems it is somewhat underrated in my opinion. I really haven't used it much since I don't shoot much 35mm but I like what I have seen so far.

Yeah I was wondering if the metering system would work and how the camera would react since it wont be able to sense a lens.saw a 50mm 1.2 go for 65 bux tonight but didnt want to buy that one just to try this contraption out.

A 1.2 for $65?! Even for an 'obsolete' lens mount that's pretty great!
Metering shouldn't be a problem, I suspect you might not get the full matrix metering but spot shouldn't be a problem; I use m42 (screw-mount manual focus lenses) with an adapter on my Dynax 5 and 7 film cameras and the spot-meter works fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back