manual film wind on my camera

samsdmf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Minolta Dynax 5 and have recently got a dark room set up and was wondering if anyone knew how I could wind the film so it didnt fully wind into the cartridge so i can get the film out to develop easily.
Sorry is this is a bit vague, im no photography expert- thanks for reading anyway

I just crack the suckers open with a can opener. That way if you have a last picture, you can cut the film nearer to the tape and get that last shot.

Some cameras have the option to leave the leader out. I don't know about yours. Or You can buy a film leader retriever for a couple bucks.

Its a motor wind, I'll pop to my local camera shop at the weekend and see what he has for me, thanks.
EDIT: I was just found that it is a custom setting to leave the leader out thats for the help so i actualy knew what it was called rather than saying "leaving the thingy dangling"

Yeah, I'm not sure about that particular camera, you'd have to check your owner's manual. I know Canon has a few models where you can set it to leave the film leader out so you can get it out easy for development (or to load again later...which is for the experienced only).

or you just get a pair of pointy-nosed pliers... put one side of the "pointy-nose" into the middle of the cannister (where the spool is), and the otherside out, and wedge the top off... (takes a bit of practice, and the first few times you'll end up with cut handsl... but you eventually get the hang of it)... Then just lift the spool out...

Put your ear to the back of your camera as you rewind, and listen for the film disengaging from the take up spool, and pop the back of the camera open. It'll take a few times to get the hang of it, but it works. Don't open it early. ;)

Use a can/bottle opener to open the end of the film cassette. You avoid pulling the film through the gate for a third time, which probably isn't a big deal, but less wear and tear...

If you have a darkroom just unload the film from the camera before if rewinds. Most cameras when you open the back it releases the take up spool so you can just pull the film out. Some cameras have feature so you can cancel the auto rewind.

Or check your local camera or photo shop a lot of them sell lead pullers so you can retrieve the film leader out of the film can.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back