Manual teleconverter

rodrigo12351

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if is it possible to give electrical conection to a manual teleconverter, more precisely kenko teleplus na 2x.
There is a way to give cpu to an old nikkor lenses with af confirm chip. Maybe if I attach one chip to my teleconverter I get aperture control (maybe af too but I don't need it! It's all about aperture control and vr) what do you think? But then i loose vr (I think) and data, if the previous option works and is the only one working no problem..., but what if we give electrical conection like an af extension tube is it possible to find the conections and modify the teleconverter? Or maybe remove them from a cheap af extension tube?
In macro photography teleconverters don't affect that much image quality, so why would I buy some hundred dollars teleconverter right?
Ps:sorry about my poor English

my manual teleconvertor does not have the contacts from the camera body nor to the lens to support any AF features - irregardless of any "chip".

That's why they sell teleconvertors that do support AF-S features.

7b1f51f623fe955d862218a60cfc7b72.jpg
96fd2072ba5386af0323e19e4dcf757c.jpg
18f08c9a393afd37bc911229c260f492.jpg

I don't have any manual nikkor lens but this pins seem like the same of my lens and my af extension tube, aren't they?

Adding a dandelion to a manual TC will not control the lens. You need to extend the connections from the rear of the TC (that connects to the camera) to the front (that connects to the lens). Dandelions don't do that.

But dandelion can control aperture by this pin (sending the information to the camera) right? and I can set it to the double length, so it would think that the lens is the combo os tc+af lens or not? How could I extend it from the rear to the top? Can I use the connections of an extension tube?

Enviado do meu 6045K através de Tapatalk

I think by the time you try to jerry-rig something that may or may not work, you'll be more than happy to spend the money on a full-auto TC.

Yes maybe, but is it impossible? thank you

I've seen a manual TC that have a bar attachment from the back to the front of the TC to adjust the aperture on the lens. It was connected to an old nikon lens. It didn't work very good when I was fiddling with it as it was too sloppy. So you "can" do it (though I never tested it on a camera body), but I wouldn't bother.

it was at a local used record store, last time I checked over a year ago.

Whether it's possible or not, that's something I wouldn't spend any time trying to find out.

I have seen some reversed lens with cables to keep the connections (for canon I think) could I somehow use a lens attached to the teleconverter and the teleconverter to an af extension tube and make conection between lens and extension tube by cables?

Yes maybe, but is it impossible? thank you

No, not impossible. Just incredibly difficult. In fact you'd probably be better off machining up a completely new teleconverter, then you will be able to choose your process in order to make the installation easier.

But to do it with your current teleconverter all you have to do is:

1. Buy a teleconverter that autofocuses
2. Dismantle it paying close attention to where and how the electrical gubbins was put inside.
3. Machine out your existing teleconverter to exactly match the other one and make any other piece that is not in your manual teleconverter.
4. Place the electical gubbins from your dismantled new teleconverter in the same place in your manual one and re-assemble.

You should then have converted your manual teleconverter into one that autofocuses.

Thanks, when I have time i will maybe try it with af extension tube electrical gubbins

To comment on your images, the TC has automatic indexing (AI) And the lens side of it has a lever that can be moved out of the way to mount lenses that do not have automatic indexing. These things have nothing to do with electrical connection. Their purpose is to allow aperture indexing for the metering systems of film cameras.

The TC, however will work fine with your camera. You can use manual exposure control or aperture priority metering. Focus, of course, will have to be manual. I wouldn't worry about upgrading it or trying to kluge up a fix. I would recommend using it the way it is. It should perform just fine.

Hi, thanks for the answer, I think I will keep it manual as you all said, I just need it to amplify the work distance in macro and I just need that in some particularly cases, wouldn't be a problem to go manual. Thank you all!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back