Many options, what to do?

MrCarl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey
As I upgraded my D60 with kit lens to D200 (I also own Tamron 55-200mm). Looking to buy a very first prime for the D200. Can't decide between 35mm and 50mm (common problem right here). I like to be able to take landscape photos also as I don't have cash to buy a wide angle lens at the moment. And I also like the 50mm focal lenght and don't want to be restricted to 35mm only.
I noticed 3 different offers

Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D + UV and ND filter - 165$

Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8 - 190$ or the same lens with Hoya circ. pola filter.

Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4 D - 225$

Opinions? :)

And I also like the 50mm focal lenght and don't want to be restricted to 35mm only.
Sounds to me like you would prefer to go for the 50mm.

f/1.8 vs f/1.4: cant decide for you, but a neutral density filter ND4 or ND8 would be a really good idea with a prime lens. Otherwise bright sunlight might make it impossible to work with open aperture.

Thanks, the 1.4 intrigues me with the awsome bokeh.
EDIT: What about the 1.4 price is it a bargain? Another interesting option that would cost more at first would be buying the both with additional filters and selling the one I don't like/need after without the filters?

Last edited:
If the UV and CPOL filters are some off-brand, or from a bad brand, it would be a really bad idea. $165 is a bit high for the 50/1.8D, even with the filters. The 50/1.8G is a MUCH better lens, for a marginal increase in price. A used 50/1.8D can be had for round-about $85-90 or better. The filters are almost never, ever needed for the lens, in my experience. With ISOs going down to ISO100 or ISO50 and shutter speeds going up to 1/8000s, it's hard to really NEED a ND filter for photos on a 50/1.8. Buying a good one will cost as much as the lens itself, or more.

My advice? Get the Sigma 50mm F/1.4. It's quite a bit better than the 50/1.8D, and most say as good or very slightly better than the 50/1.8G. And you get F/1.4. It'll run you about $300 if you buy used. A great deal, IMO.

Mark

Thanks, I am actually leaning towards to the 35mm with Hoya circ pola as it is more safe bet overall. Not much used 1.8G's being sold right here and one Sigma 1.4 just got sold for 360$

I personally have a AF 50mm 1.8 that I bought years ago for my film n80. It works well with my D7000 but it is a short tele. I would prefer the 35mm 1.8 because of it's "normal" perspective. I plan on buying a 35 1st time I have $200 extra bucks.

Yep sold my 50mm f1.8 AF-D and kept my 35mm f1.8G AF-S. As found the 50mm tight for indoors and street. The 35mm gave me a bit more breathing room. Just comes down to personal styles and preferences. And for me indoors and tight spaces the 50mm didn't work well for my needs.

Most reactions

Back