Mark IV Vs Mark III

sam weller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I used to have Canon Mark III and was very happy with it. But then I purchased Mark IV and I am having some issues - the photographs come out dull and not very vivid. Very disappointed. Does anyone have this issue with Mark IV?

I am going to assume you are talking about .jpg images not Raw files. Are you using the same picture style for .jpg? Are you using a user defined setting? Take a look starting at page 183 of the manual.

If you don't shoot RAW then do that and process files in LR.
Are you using same lenses you used on the Mk III ?

Irrelevant question. "what" MkIV?

Other than that, there's about 1,000 reasons you would run into this. Are all your settings and presets the same?

The only current Canon camera with a MkIII and MkIV would be the 5D.

I used to have Canon Mark III and was very happy with it. But then I purchased Mark IV and I am having some issues - the photographs come out dull and not very vivid. Very disappointed. Does anyone have this issue with Mark IV?

SOunds like you might be shooting in-camera .JPG images, and the settings are not very conducive to a snappy, saturated .JPEG file. If this is the case, I would look carefully at how you have the newer camera set up. Might need more contrast,more saturation, a bit more sharpening, something like those three things can make a big, big difference in how the images come out of the camera. Contrast is sometimes called Tone Curve, and of course Saturation is saturation of the color hues; those two parameters play a large part in how snappy a .JPEG is if it is created by the camera.

I am going to assume you are talking about .jpg images not Raw files. Are you using the same picture style for .jpg? Are you using a user defined setting? Take a look starting at page 183 of the manual.
I shoot in the RAW. I also own Canon EOS 7D. I shoot in RAW format with it, too. I took the same pictures with both EOS 7D and EOS 5D Mark IV. I then compared the settings on both 7D and Mark IV - the were the same. Photographs on EOS 7D were more vivid and vibrant than on Mark IV

I shoot RAW and I used the same lenses on all of my cameras.

SOunds like you might be shooting in-camera .JPG images, and the settings are not very conducive to a snappy, saturated .JPEG file. If this is the case, I would look carefully at how you have the newer camera set up. Might need more contrast,more saturation, a bit more sharpening, something like those three things can make a big, big difference in how the images come out of the camera. Contrast is sometimes called Tone Curve, and of course Saturation is saturation of the color hues; those two parameters play a large part in how snappy a .JPEG is if it is created by the camera.
I always shoot in the RAW. And I also have a Canon EOS 7D. To experiment, I took pictures of same objects with both 7D and Mark IV. Settings were the same on both cameras. But photographs on EOS 7D were more vivid and vibrant than on Mark IV

I shoot in the RAW. I also own Canon EOS 7D. I shoot in RAW format with it, too. I took the same pictures with both EOS 7D and EOS 5D Mark IV. I then compared the settings on both 7D and Mark IV - the were the same. Photographs on EOS 7D were more vivid and vibrant than on Mark IV

I shoot in the RAW. I also own Canon EOS 7D. I shoot in RAW format with it, too. And I used same lenses on all cameras - my original camera EOS 7D, then Mark III and then on Mark IV. I took the same pictures with both EOS 7D, Mark III and EOS 5D Mark IV. I then compared the settings on both 7D and Mark IV - they were the same. Photographs on EOS 7D were more vivid and vibrant than on Mark IV

Raw files are just that, raw data. They need to be post processed to achieve the look you desire.
Photographs on EOS 7D were more vivid and vibrant than on Mark IV
If you are meaning the LCD screen, it is pretty much worthless for anything other than composition and blown highlights.

Raw files are just that, raw data. They need to be post processed to achieve the look you desire.
Photographs on EOS 7D were more vivid and vibrant than on Mark IV
If you are meaning the LCD screen, it is pretty much worthless for anything other than composition and blown highlights.
Yes, I understand what you are saying. But comparing RAW images taken by EOS 7D and Mark IV you can't help noticing that EOS 7D pictures are far more vivid and the colors are much more vibrant than the ones taken by Mark IV. Given the fact that the RAW files need to be processed by PS or LR.

I wouldn't worry about it if it's a raw file. Or if it really bothers you add a preset to boost saturation and contrast on import.

I wouldn't worry about it if it's a raw file. Or if it really bothers you add a preset to boost saturation and contrast on import.
Thank you!

Most reactions

Back