Mark IV Vs Mark III

I am not familiar with Canon but with Nikon if I set my in camera picture control to say "vivid" then my raw images are previewed in NX2 with the "vivid" preset added as an overlay and can be converted to JPEG or whatever with the vivid preset overlay added. I can, of course, change the preset to neutral or flat or any other of several presets and the conversions will respond as set.. Could the "picture control" on your MK IV be set to something like neutral or flat and the picture control on your MK III and 7D be set to a snappier setting like vivid?

Last edited:
I am not familiar with Canon but with Nikon if I set my in camera picture control to say "vivid" then my raw images are previewed in NX2 with the "vivid" preset added as an overlay and can be converted to JPEG or whatever with the vivid preset overlay added. I can, of course, change the preset to neutral or flat or any other of several presets and the conversions will respond as set.. Could the "picture control" on your MK IV be set to something like neutral or flat and the picture control on your MK III and 7D be set to a snappier setting like vivid?
No. All the settings are identical...

Only thing left to do would be to find another MK IV, set it up as your other MK IV and compare the results. If they are the same then you'll know that it is just the nature of the beast. If the borrowed MK IV is the same as your MK III and 7D then I'd be calling Canon for a return authorization.

Only thing left to do would be to find another MK IV, set it up as your other MK IV and compare the results. If they are the same then you'll know that it is just the nature of the beast. If the borrowed MK IV is the same as your MK III and 7D then I'd be calling Canon for a return authorization.
Thanks. Appreciate your input!

Seems to me like there might be just different expected users for the two cameras. Also, the 7D has what I think of as an excessive emphasis on noise reduction.

I am wondering what the software is doing on import of the .CR2 files? The software is the interpreter of the data; if the import profile better suits the 7D, then the images the raw file converter creates will favor the 7D over the 5D.

But still--I would not really expect the identical image characteristics from two different camera models. I would expect a more neutral, lower-contrast image from the 5D, and a punchier, more vibrant image from the 7D, just sort of based on stereotypical expected uses for these two cameras, one for portraiture/landscape, the other for sports/action work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back