Mark Samuel - C&C appreciated.

ahhh i'm so disapointed with the original picture, i expected so much more punch.

jeezzz thats kinda harsh.

but there may be no hope for this photo, what camera are you using? have any other shots from the shoot?

As I said in original post, I used an Olympus SP 500UZ. It's really a crappy camera but all I have at the moment. (My Canon Rebel XTi is ON ITS WAY!!! *yay*:D ) LOL....so even if this picture can't be helped, thanks a lot for trying, guys!
Anyone else see anything I could have done differently with this picture/ improve upon next time?

stepcolor.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is my take, just some quick adjustments...
stepcolor_2.jpg

Its not perfect by any means, but that was the best I could do with it. Not wild about the shadows on the face, I will see if i can improve that.

EDIT here it is lightened up.
stepcolor_2-1.jpg

oh my word that really...POPS! pops my eyes out; seeing his shirt like that. It's a nice take on it, yet not really my style; it also makes his lips look like they have lipstick on...haha...(wouldn't he love that!?!?:lol:) But your edit does bring more life into the picture, whereas I think my shot looks flat and boring. thanks!

Might want to clarify which persons edit you are refering to? I assume the colored one, since you mentioned lip stick??

I'm really sorry, i think it's a lost cause :( i hate being mean about photos, especially ones involving people because people are beautiful but the fact so many people are playing with it and not getting mush shows how lost it is.

I would crop some off the left hand side, and off of the top, so that his eyes and face are a bit more toward the upper left hand side of the frame, and a natural line goes from those large looking boots at the bottom and upward. The B&W looks better than the color version.

What is your conversion to B/W process? As mentioned above, the sensor is receiving color and the best B/W conversions are done in PP rather than in-camera. Just using 'desatureate' is not good enough. You must tweak all color bars individually. There are a couple of great texts on digital B/W.

Amazon.com: Advanced Digital Black & White Photography (A Lark Photography Book) (9781600592102): John Beardsworth: Books

Amazon.com: Mastering Digital Black and White: A Photographer's Guide to High Quality Black-and-White Imaging and Printing, 1st Edition eBook: Amadou Diallo: Kindle Store: Reviews, Prices & more

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I really like this picture! Only thing that kind of bothers me is the shirt seems a little off to me. Here's a take on how I would edit it:
20101110-stepcolor_2.jpg

Oh my STARS I truly LOVE this. Rausch, you NAILED it! May I ask what you did to it, and in what photo edit program? That is truly amazing. Thanks again...

Might want to clarify which persons edit you are refering to? I assume the colored one, since you mentioned lip stick??

I'm sorry, I was referring to your edit. I had not seen Rausch's edit at the time...Somehow I missed it. I mentioned lip stick because your edit made his lips appear very dark and noticeable. But I do like how your edit brought some life into the picture! Thanks so much! Appreciate it.

Thank you to ALL, actually, for taking time to look and post on this. Really helpful, and it's really awesome to see everyone's edit, and take on it. It's not a stellar picture in the beginning, so thanks a TON for taking time to play with it!

I really like this picture! Only thing that kind of bothers me is the shirt seems a little off to me. Here's a take on how I would edit it:
20101110-stepcolor_2.jpg

Oh my STARS I truly LOVE this. Rausch, you NAILED it! May I ask what you did to it, and in what photo edit program? That is truly amazing. Thanks again...

This edit was done in LR3. Used Old Fashion Soft preset, upped the blacks, brought up the contrast levels, added a dark lens vignette, and a tad of sharpening. Glad you enjoyed, glad I could help!

Rausch, you're awesome at editing!
Figured since some others were giving it a shot that I would too. Wish I was better at it though.

stepcolor2edit.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back