Maternity Photo Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything I could dream to say was covered by the lovely people above.

- UNDERSTAND YOUR CAMERA. Download the manual and read it until you are blue in the face.

- Don't shoot low angels on people who have a bit of extra weight, which does include pregnant women.

- Read up on the rules of composition.

- Get yourself a good photoshop book. Photoshop for Photographers.

- Study other peoples maternity shots maticulously, and see what works and what doesn't.

:)

I think Kundalini put it quite well.

I did not have $40k to go to school either..

Reading online- FREE
Books from the library- FREE
Understand Exposure - $25.00 Investment
Being a good photographer - Priceless

;-) ...figured I'd turn that into a Mastercard Ad.

My point is, not having money for school is not an excuse for poor photographs.
Learn from the feedback & criticism.
I think it's a blessing to be able to come here and get REAL feedback from REAL photographers, again, FOR FREE.

I never went to school - just read and read and practiced and took advice from these nice people and I can proudly say my photographs have improved 100 times over. (Feel free to view my posts).

As for your pictures - the lights are way to bright for a maternity shoot. I think they need a softer more gentle lighting ... Good luck.

As another amateur and a mother I wanted to add a touch of advice. The woman that inspired me to get into photography was also an amateur. She was AMAZING but she started by doing free shots for anyone who would let her. As she got better she charged a very small amount of money to cover basic costs. She also didnt set it by hours because she knew that she may need extra time to get the great shots. She made money off of the photos she sold. She knew that was a fair way to charge people. That way if it didnt turn out well, then all anyone was out was an hour of their time. Needless to say she got very good and now can charge a fair bit for her time and for the professionally printed photos.

This process took several years. but she has alot to show for it, she is one of the best photographers I have met.

I would also not shoot things like wedding...things that cant be re-done until you are 100% sure in your ability. It isnt fair to sell your ability when you dont have the basic foundations down.

And if you work with your aperture, you really can shoot anywhere and blur the background. i have been to dallas and I live in houston. There are alot of wonderful beautiful areas in both. If you want nature, you can use a front yard. No one will know if it a patch of grass in the middle of a city if you do it well. Not to mention, there are always parks!

Unfortunately, I think that the tone of this thread drove Teresa off, as she has not responded as of late, and I haven't seen her around.

The sad part of this, is that she is operating in my local area. We don't most likely have the same type of client, but I'm now concerned for Teresa and any potential paying clients she may have.

Teresa took a pretty bad beating around here. And in honesty, I don't blame her for not coming back around.

The tragedy of it is, that if anyone really needed some help refining her photography, she did.

As it stands now, she has a fairly nice website up, and is advertising, so she is very likely to pick up some people. And I think it's kind of sad that she will have nowhere to turn for help.

Yes, part of it is her fault. She bit off a big chunk when she still had baby teeth coming in. But part of it is our fault. Face it. There was a lot of mean posts in regards to her work. (On various threads).

Unfortunately, I think that the tone of this thread drove Teresa off, as she has not responded as of late, and I haven't seen her around.

The sad part of this, is that she is operating in my local area. We don't most likely have the same type of client, but I'm now concerned for Teresa and any potential paying clients she may have.

Teresa took a pretty bad beating around here. And in honesty, I don't blame her for not coming back around.

The tragedy of it is, that if anyone really needed some help refining her photography, she did.

As it stands now, she has a fairly nice website up, and is advertising, so she is very likely to pick up some people. And I think it's kind of sad that she will have nowhere to turn for help.

Yes, part of it is her fault. She bit off a big chunk when she still had baby teeth coming in. But part of it is our fault. Face it. There was a lot of mean posts in regards to her work. (On various threads).

Yes, I would agree with you. She never took up on your offer for help? If you were in my area, I'd take you up on it. I need help....badly :) hmmm...if I send you a photo for critique, would you help me out?

Well she is reading this thread so at least she is getting the advice offered...you can tell by looking at someones profile when they logged in last and what they read.

I think she gets so much anger because she tries to pass herselff off as a professional and really isnt. Its insulting to professionals perhaps. you cant just buy a camera and call yourself a professional.

I think if she came for real advice as a amature, people would be alot more kind.

i come to read and look at other photos
i dont come here to get bashed and sometimes i do come to get advice and just dont have the time to sit here and type out what i think about the advice..i have a family to care for thank you

Yes, I would agree with you. She never took up on your offer for help? If you were in my area, I'd take you up on it. I need help....badly :) hmmm...if I send you a photo for critique, would you help me out?

Actually, I telephoned Teresa today. And yes, I will be helping her in whatever she believes she needs help in.
She's actually a very nice lady.

Yes, I'll help you out too. :lovey:

I got helped alot, and I'd like to pass it on.

i did take her up on her offer thank you...

Teresa you have to do your part too. The poster sided with you, and asked a question. They had your best wishes at heart.
I know you have a lot of reasons to be angry, but start anew, ok?

Well she is reading this thread so at least she is getting the advice offered...you can tell by looking at someones profile when they logged in last and what they read.

I think she gets so much anger because she tries to pass herselff off as a professional and really isnt. Its insulting to professionals perhaps. you cant just buy a camera and call yourself a professional.

I think if she came for real advice as a amature, people would be alot more kind.

That is completely out of line.
I am a professional. I don't think anyone would challenge me on that....and Teresa doesn't insult me. I think Teresa started out a little raw. But she has the heart to do this. She jumped right in....albiet too early.
She needs our help, not our slurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back