math in photo? nooooooo

I just realized the math angle is needed to run the equipment we designed to try to mimic how our eyes work ........so my thought is If you can further develop how your eyes see things artistically, then its far more benefecial than memorizing formulas that you can stick in your pocket on paper.....

just my 2 cents..

but dont get me wrong, I totally respect all who understand those formulas. I just dont need them for my equipment, If you grew up with them then of course your gonna cherish them.......

Will you stop mentioning the war?

:mrgreen:

(jumping sitcoms there)

THORHAMMER said:
but dont get me wrong, I totally respect all who understand those formulas. I just dont need them for my equipment, If you grew up with them then of course your gonna cherish them.......
You don't need them - but knowing the Science and Math allows you to understand how it all works and why, so if the Technology fails (or you find yourself in a situation the programmers and designers didn't think of) then you can still get the shot.
But if you prefer to keep asking the question 'what went wrong?'....

When I was in college Photo Theory was a requisite. Needless to say we were too cool to pay attention. I eventually had to get a math/algebra tutor to help me pass the class. If I remember correctly you HAD to pass the class to continue. I kind of wish I still had that notebook. Mostly what I learned was a stronger respect for photography. Exposing film or a sensor is basically a huge math equation. Developing and printing film is a beautiful chemical process.

Hertz mentioned "what went wrong". I used to hate asking my self that question. Of course photography is a never ending journey. I try and soak up all I can. Not saying that Photo Theory will make you a better photographer. Theory will help in getting anything you want out of your photos. More importantly it helps in getting the shot at the time of exposure. As opposed to time spent in post processing.

A good start is Kodak's "Professional Photo Guide". Proud to say that my copy is from 1986. Wish I could find it. Probably hanging out with my ski boot tool bent on making me mad. Anyway I am sure they still publish it. Lots of dials to play with. And it is heavy coated card stock. That way nothing will happen if you drop it in the developer or whatever.

I hope and pray that slickhare is still around! :lol:

danalec99 said:
I hope and pray that slickhare is still around! :lol:

lol i'm here! this thread certainly blossomed! but yay math isn't a requirement :boogie:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back