Maybe third time a charm

jamesparker1250

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well last night I posted a Portrait of my teenage daughter who was getting ready for a dance at school but I was not very happy with the picture.So after some hints I took a picture of my youngest daughter hope it turn out better

Attachments

• $DSC_0386.JPG
    $DSC_0386.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 127
Hi, Jamesparker1250. The on-camera flash makes the light rather flat and has made harsh shadows and a hotspot on the background. You should make plans to get your flash off the camera. Or modify the built-in flash.

The other one seems kind of underexposed to me, and the background is quite distracting. Cute model and pose.

You can modify your built-in flash with a piece of translucent paper held at an angle just in front of the flash. Use tape so you can steady the camera with both hands.

Are you using a separate flash unit? In that, is mounted on the hotshoe? If so, I have an idea for you that worked well for me when I just began. First, get the flash off camera--this can be achieved with the following cord, or one of similar make (the one I linked to is designed for Nikon camera's).

Vello TTL-Off-Camera Flash Cord for Nikon SLR - 3' (1 m) OCS-N3

Next, grab a shoe box or something similar. Line it with tin foil, and cut off one of the broad sides (the top or bottom). Place your flash in one of the sides, with it pointed towards the inside of the box, and cover the open side with tissue paper, wax paper, anything that will diffuse the light.

Next, hold the flash off to the left or right (whichever is more comfortable), and shoot! You'll see hugely improved results. Below is an image of a similar device I made, and then a self portrait I took with it, holding the flash, aimed at myself.

Best,
Jake

P.S., if you don't have an off camera flash, you can buy used or third-party for easily under a hundred dollars.

Edit: Also, the actual cost (if you already have a flash unit) is easily under 30 dollars. So it's simple, cheap, and pretty damned effective. If you want to get fancy you can make it out of plasticore (http://www.coroplast.com/catalog/Files/Images/Plasticor_White_Cap_Small.jpg) and make the front with a thin white sheet. It's really easy to cut, can be had for about $5 a sheet at Home Depot, and will hold up much better than the shoebox.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back