What's new

MB-D11 knockoff

nickzou

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 12, 2011
Messages
593
Reaction score
40
Location
Ottawa
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
You broke the moment I tried to play with you (snapped off the plastic battery lock mechanism, it's okay, it came with the AA one so I'm using that for now). You feel cheap as sh*t. The dials are backwards on you. And you are awkwardly light because of your plastic instead of magnesium alloy build. But you were 40 dollars and you make my D7000 look uber-pro.

For this, I give you a 2.5/5.

I will definitely be looking to replace you in the future. But for now, you will have to do.
 
Last edited:
Oddly, I do like the cheap clicky shutter-release on the grip (reminds me of the entry level Nikons) better than the squishy pro style one on the body.
 
I have the knockoff too. I'm not content with it but it serves for the moment. I only bought it so that I could have the extra battery on-board when we went to Scotland in June. I don't rely on it as the principal place to hold the camera. Eventually you get used to the backward wheels but 3 months in and I still turn them the wrong way sometimes.
 
it sounds like your actually complimenting on the knock off for their value for money?

for those with a knock off grip for the D700, do they actually increase the shutter rate in continuous high mode?
 
I fail to see the logic in buying a cheap knockoff with known quality issues to accessorize $1500 to $2500 cameras. Save up to buy good quality from the start and thus only buy once.
 
I'm glad I dropped the money on the Nikon battery grip. Weather sealed, alloy, consistent shutter button, dials work properly, etc. Yes. I agree. You DO get what you pay for. (most of the time).
 
There are actually a few things I like about it. I like the shutter release feel better. And I like the directional joystick better than the four cardinal direction D-pad on the main body, I find I can change the AF point faster.

As for you get what you paid for, and why buy cheap gear to compliment a thousand dollar body. When I had my D80, I had 2 knockoff batteries and they were indistinguishable in terms of quality of build, charge time, and how long they lasted compared to the Nikon battery and they were like a third of the price. So... yeah, sometimes cheap things do work out. And though I have yet to track one down, I've read that the Tokina 80-200mm f/2.8 is as sharp as the Nikon model at a third of its price.

And it's not so much that I don't like plastic products. My fist DSLR was a Canon Rebel XT, and let me tell you I put that thing through hell. Dropped it underneath a waterfall, dropped it several times elsewhere, got mud all over the shutter release, had dog bite and lick the lens.Eventually one of the buttons on the back fell off (forgot which one now) but it was still pretty functional. Stuff that I wouldn't put my D7000 through, that Rebel XT went through and I was thoroughly impressed by how sturdy that plastic body was.

But this... this MB-D11 plastic is not the same. I can tell by holding it. It feels like holding on of those non-grade Gundam models. The stuff that was so easy to destroy I could do it with a pair of scissors and no effort. I feel like if this falls, it won't hold up like the Rebel XT, rather, just deform as soon as it makes contact with something, anything remotely harder than itself.

EDIT: One thing I wish it did have, but isn't on the real one either so I guess I'm not too hurt, is the Fn button. I tend to use that a lot.
 
Last edited:
Some of the knockoffs have actually been know to damage the bodies they are attached to..... not a good idea.
 
Perhaps some empirical data should be posted.

This is exactly why I was inclined to get the knock off. I read the thread about the knock off grips and no one really seemed to have any trouble and plenty of people purchased them.
 
Thanks for reminding me to order another for my D7000 via this post. Mine worked so well it was incredible. My brother bought a D7000 and I handed it to him.

Nikon won't give me my camera back on a warranty job anyway, it had the oily sensor syndrone. They have so many there for that prob that parts are back order and more back order.

So my aftermarket copy grip is awesome and my cam has been broken and in the shop FOREVER LoL whats wrong with this picture
badteeth.gif
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom