Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i-qGpQQKB-X2.jpg

Nikon D90 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 @ f/2

Quite dramatic! Good to see you.

What lighting did you use for this shot? Thanks

Excellent! How did I miss this when you first posted it? Looks like something out of a Roger Corman film.

Thanks all. I don't do too many self portraits.

I recently purchased the Nikon R1 close-up flash sytem. My D90 has CLS, so can use the pop-up flash to control the 2 SB200 units. Normally these are attached to a ring on the front of the lens, but the SB200's also come with stands, diffusers, and gels. You really do get a lot with this kit - and a HUGE carrying case to boot. My main reason for getting the R1 was to use with my Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro lens, but it seems like it's been either been really windy or raining since the flash was delivered. So, I was playing around with it inside and decided to try the SB200's as off camera speedlights. These are not as powerful as my SB600 and I also had them reduced in power by 0.7 if I remember correctly. The units were on the table in front of me at roughly 8 and 11 o'clock, I turned to the left and upward, taking the shot with my left hand. The pop-up flash was blocked by a piece that comes with the R1 that sits in the hotshoe and blocks any additional light from the pop-up commander. This shot was only meant as a test shot, but it came out well enough to not bother setting up the tripod. I was surprised I hit focus as well as I did at f/2, shooting hand held with my left hand. Go figure.

I think I would have liked to catch a bit more light in the right (my left) eye. I wish it was a more professional setup that I was describing, but I was just getting used to a new toy.

Thanks again!

Just wanted to add that this was also processed in Capture NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2 (via CS5) to give it much of it's dramatic effect.

Last edited:
I think I would have liked to catch a bit more light in the right (my left) eye. I wish it was a more professional setup that I was describing, but I was just getting used to a new toy.

Thanks again!

Just wanted to add that this was also processed in Capture NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2 (via CS5) to give it much of it's dramatic effect.

IMO, I like it how it is with the one eye being more exposed than the other. If you had both eyes exposed, I think it'd take away some of the dramatic look that this gives off. Looks good.

Most reactions

Back