Meat Close-Ups, How's My Lighting?

LungFish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's a random subject to work on lighting still macros. Taken with ring flash + speedlight on opposite diagonals, with envelopes as diffusers, using Nikon D5000 on tripod, and Sigma 105 Macro. I think (but I can't remember) that these were also with an extension tube.

How could I have done this better (using my existing gear)?

Lamb Chop by clavain1, on Flickr

Lamb Chop by clavain1, on Flickr

How could I have done this better. Cooked it!

Make it better in what way? Better exposed? Better composed? Better subject matter?

The exposure of the meat looks fine to me... They're just not terribly interesting photos IMHO.

Subject matter was chosen only for texture and reflectiveness. I find them mildly interesting, but I'm not offended if you don't because that's not really the point of the exercise.

Well, if exposure was your goal... You're more or less there. The second one is slightly underexposed if I were to get nitpicky.

Should have got some prime 1 steak with better marbling.

Deeper DoF. Because there's not much intrinsic contrast, it's more difficult to tell exactly what is and what isn't in focus like in the first photo.

Not sure if picture #2 is slightly under exposed, but rather a little more contrasty. I find picture one could benefit from slightly more contrast. Although to be honest, your choice of subject matter is very unusual to say the least.

Deeper DoF. Because there's not much intrinsic contrast, it's more difficult to tell exactly what is and what isn't in focus like in the first photo.

I see it, but they're already on f/22

Although to be honest, your choice of subject matter is very unusual to say the least.

That's the idea.

A fly on top may have made such a boring subject pop

Most reactions

Back