medium format basics

snowboard100dps

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am a high school student, very interested in the pursuit of photography. But, I have only really worked with 35mm. I am curious about medium format, but I dont really know the slightest thing about it, I just heard some people talking about it.

any info would be much appreciated,

-SEAN.

Here's one of my favorite medium format sites

http://medfmt.8k.com/

Basically medium format is very similar to 35mm film, but larger. Film comes in 120 and 220 (which is a roll twice as long as 120). A neg or pos on 35mm film is approx 2.5cm x 3.75cm. Medium format negs can be several different sizes, depending on the camera; common sizes are 6cm x 4.5cm, 6cm x 6cm, and 6cm x 7cm, but there are others. Some cameras can shoot multiple formats. Medium format cameras come in all types from a variety of amateur and professional model vintage cameras, to plastic Holgas, to professional SLRs and rangefinders.

The advantage is a bigger neg to work with. The disadvantage is having to use a larger camera.

The disadvantage is having to use a larger camera.
Sometimes. ;)

My circa 1960'ish Super Isolette folder has the feel of a 35mm, in size and weight (ok, maybe it's got a little more heft). :razz:

And the Holga is a plastic camera that weighs next to nothing and costs about the same.

Both these cameras use 120 film and are medium format cameras, but are fun and easy to use. There's a lot to explore out there, Snowboard, but it is well worth your time. If you are interested - go for it! Remember, ebay can be your friend. :D

terri said:
Sometimes. ;)

My circa 1960'ish Super Isolette folder has the feel of a 35mm, in size and weight (ok, maybe it's got a little more heft). :razz:

Your Isolette is similar in size to a 35mm SLR, but 35mm folders are even smaller. :)

ksmattfish said:
Here's one of my favorite medium format sites

http://medfmt.8k.com/

You always post the best links! :hail:

Hopefully, this will be of benefit for me as well. I'm also tempted to start with medium format. I've already been looking for Yashicas at ebay. Probably I'll have to wait a little bit longer... I'm so anxious...!

thanks for your precious links, Matt! :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back