Medium format--who uses it? Which is recommended and why?

I did some research on the Mamiya TLRs, because I'm also interested in the interchangeable lenses. The two models I looked at mostly are the C220 and the C330. The C220 is the "economy" model, but it gets a lot of recommendations due to it being about one pound lighter and at least $100 cheaper than the C330. They both take the same lenses; the C330 has a few extra features. Many people commented on the rugged build of both cameras; it's simple design makes it less repair prone than a Rollei.

As far as lens quality goes the reviews were pretty good. Although in comparison with Zeiss Planars or Schneider Xenotars on some of the Rolleis, the Planars/Xenotars beat the Mamiya 80mm lens for sharpness. On the other hand, a wide- or tele-Rollei is super big bucks. And newer Mamiya lenses were said to be better than older lenses. New Mamiya lenses also have very modern multi-coatings which is better for color.

Yes, it always comes down to that...you can swing the bucks for the body, but getting a decent array of lenses will put you in the poorhouse!! :? I wonder if it was specifically the 80mm that fared poorly or were they speaking in generally about most of their lenses..... hmmm...

Don't get me wrong, there were many very happy Mamiya users out there. The lenses got pretty good reviews. It's just that the planars and xenotars are supposed to be sharper.

Rolleis pretty much come with a 75mm f/3.5 or an 80mm f/2.8 so these compare most directly to the 80mm Mamiya lens.

I can tell you that the Zeiss 75mm f/3.5 planar lens takes an awesome pic. If the Mamiya lenses are anywhere close they'll do a great job.

The Mamiya's "rugged durability" would be a bonus for a hiking camera.

Another comment about TLRs in general. I think many folks find that hand holding is possible at slower shutter speeds due to the leaf shutter and the way you hold them.

Jeff Canes said:
I found a dealer in New York listing both the Rollie Wide and Tele
Wide is listed at $2450, that a lot for a 30 to 40 year old camera and $1300 to $1600 for the tele
http://www.rarecameras.com/Medium45.html

Nod, too much for me. I think the high price reflects collectable value of Rolleis in general, plus they just didn't make as many of the wides and teles.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back