medium format?

rom4n301

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
im thinking of getting into medium format.. of cource.. i want a 500c/m but sadly... when i wanted to buy it.. i had the money.. but i didnt get it.. now.. im thinking of getting a bronica sq or sq-a... any opinions on witch i should get.. i mean like.. what are the differences

oh damn... nvm... i cant even find an sq for sale... but what do all u thin about the sq-a cuz.. im still not perfectly shure if i wanna get into medium format....

I used an Etrsi for years shooting weddings and it did me well for a long time. I purchased 2 of them used and only had one issue with either one of them, got it repaired and issue over.

Well... they're both SLR cameras, both have interchangeable film backs. They're both fine cameras. The Hasselblad will cost more and easily has better optics, but I'm sure you'd be happy with Bronica's lenses.

I suggest you consider the one that will allow you to expand your system... add lenses, finder, backs, etc. If the Hasselblad is out or reach, look for a Bronica or Mamiya.

-Pete

I suggest you consider the one that will allow you to expand your system... add lenses, finder, backs, etc.
Couldn't agree more...
It's been a while since I even held a medium format but I believe Bronica is no longer in production therefore although you might find it cheaper, repairs, IF ANY, will probably be more costly. Ideally, of course you'll never drop the back and will not have to worry about any other repairs, but these things to occur thus keep in mind the cost and availability of maintenance. Personally, I love Brony and I miss it.

hey thanks for the replies.. of caurce i want the hassy.. but damn... to expensive.. and right now im tryin to spend money on glass for my dslr/film cams

If you want to buy a Bronica, go for the SQ-A over the SQ. The SQ-A has mirror lock up and the SQ doesn't. With such a big mirror, I find the mirror lock up feature essential (I have both SQ and SQ-A bodies and I now exclusively use the SQ-A for that reason).

oh one more question... im ganna be runnin external flashes pretty much everytim i use the cam.. so i was wondering.. how exactly does a pc scync cord work since there are no batteries..

I own an SQ-A and an SQA-M (motorized). I think the SQ-A is a good deal, since it is newer than the plain vanilla SQ. Look for an SQ-A someplace besides the big five web sites, where you will pay absolutely top dollar for used medium format. Buy a copy of Shutterbug magazine, and call or e-mail some of the *smaller* companies in the secondary markets in the USA if you need a good deal.

It's possible to buy an SQ-A w. waist level finder, a 50mm and 80mm, with a 120 back for as little as $300 for the pair, with a motivated seller: I know, since I payed that little in 2008 for the exact listed stuff in Mint - shape. The 150mm PS lens is a nice one to have, and consider that you can also get a 645 back for the SQ series bodies to give your lenses a bit of added flexibility.

e-Bay is another place to get good deals; the biggest web site in the USA have prices 30-60 percent higher than you'll find from motivated sellers.

oh one more question... im ganna be runnin external flashes pretty much everytim i use the cam.. so i was wondering.. how exactly does a pc scync cord work since there are no batteries..

PC sync cords don't require batteries on the camera side.. from my understanding the power comes from the flash and all the camera does is just close the circuit which is mechanical not electrical.

oh.. tru tru

PC sync cords don't require batteries on the camera side.../QUOTE]

Generally true but many cameras don't use mechanical switch contacts to "close the contact" to trigger a flash. They use an electronic switching semi-conductor device instead. There are a few of these that will meter and fire with a modestly weak battery but will not trigger a flash. The Olympus OM-2 and 2n are notorious examples.

or **** the rb67 does go dirt cheap... but id still rather go with the sq-a.... all the rb67's that i saw come with all this useless **** that i dont need.. like a revolving back? wtf? and it requires batteries.. i may be wrong but one of the one on ebay needed batteries.. ide rather go with the sq-a nice and simple..

Get yourself a nice Yashica MAT 124. If you spend less than $100 on it you should get your money back when you decide to get something else.

As to the revolving back- remember that it's unlikely that you would be using a zoom and sometimes you just can't move back any more an need to switch orientations to get the top of something in the shot. Turning an RB on it's side is a way big deal compared to just giving the back a twist.

Btw, the deal Chris has at the bottom of his sig line is a really good price for a known good rig. -just sayin. ;)

Most reactions

Back