Meet Coverage

BrianLy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tomorrow I will be attending HellaFlush 5 and I want to take many pictures, the last time I was at a meet I was new with the camera and the pictures did not come out right. We are going to Caravan at about 7am and I will taking rolling shoots. I was reading somewhere and they say I should leave my ISO at 200 or 400. Which is the best setting for me to do this coverage?

I want to know what HellaFlush 5 is....just not enough to google it. If you tell us I bet you will get more responses.

Way too many unkowns to give detailed recommendations, but the guideline with ISO is leave it as low as you can while still getting the aperture and shutter speeds you need to get the shot. That is: If you can get a workable exposure at ISO 200, leave it there; if you have to raise, it raise it.

I would vote for 200. Its pretty sunny out and it would allow you to drag the shutter for the buttery rolling shots that I would imagine you want. Don't forget to get low.

It's a big car show, mostly imports looks like.

When you say rolling shots, you mean you'll be taking pics of moving cars from a moving car? You'll get some decent results probably. Keep your ISO low and maybe use shutter priority mode, experimenting with different shutter speeds. You should get a nice blurred background at say, 1/30 sec. shutter speed. A stabilized/vibration reduction lens would help a bit I would think.

FYI, the most dramatic rolling shots are taken with a camera rig that attaches to the car, sometimes with a suction cup on the roof or something..
Here's a link to a flickr search for 'car rig shots'
car rig shots - Flickr: Search

Good luck OP and have fun at the show.

Must be a Cali thing...
:hippie: C A L I F O R N I A ! :banghead::gah::spank: :playball::headbang::peacesign:

My birthplace. :heart:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Hey BrianLy, coverage?

Well its not going to be a coverage coverage, but I want to take pictures of the meet and most of the cars there, so it's like a personal coverage.

Which focus mode should I put the camera on? I was just messing with it and M and A is darker then S and P. So should I do the coverage with P?

...the last time I was at a meet I was new with the camera and the pictures did not come out right.

Fair enough..

Which focus mode should I put the camera on? I was just messing with it and M and A is darker then S and P. So should I do the coverage with P?

:gah:

I'll answer your question first: Leave it on P. That stands for "Program" mode, and it's not really a focus mode, more of an exposure mode. This will allow you to set your ISO nice and low to say, 200 - and the camera will take care of the rest. The camera can be stupid though, and it might do a bad job deciding on how much light to capture, but it's probably your best chance for getting decent results tomorrow.

I hope things go well, but after the meet you have some work to do. You really should make it a priority to learn what the camera is capable of, as well as read the manual (if you really care about using the camera to its potential).

...the last time I was at a meet I was new with the camera and the pictures did not come out right.

Fair enough..

:gah:

I'll answer your question first: Leave it on P. That stands for "Program" mode, and it's not really a focus mode, more of an exposure mode. This will allow you to set your ISO nice and low to say, 200 - and the camera will take care of the rest. The camera can be stupid though, and it might do a bad job deciding on how much light to capture, but it's probably your best chance for getting decent results tomorrow.

I hope things go well, but after the meet you have some work to do. You really should make it a priority to learn what the camera is capable of, as well as read the manual (if you really care about using the camera to its potential).
Thanks for the heads up, I was going to read it again today but I left it in my friends car and I forgot to get it.

But, but, but, my neighbor told me P mode, meant Professional. ;)

P, S, M, and A are shooting modes.

P = Program. The camera makes all the exposure decisions. Safe photos with absolutely zero artistic exposure considerations are made.

A = Aperture Priority. The photographer sets the aperture (DOF)/ISO the camera selects the shutter speed and cares not a whit if anything gets blurred in the photo because the shutter speed was to slow to stop the movement.

S = Shutter Priority. The photographer sets the shutter speed (motion stopping)/ISO the camera selects the aperture so DOF will be whateveer works to get the correct exposure.

M = Manual Mode. The photographer has to select each of the exposure triad settings based on the scene they are wanting to photograph.

All of the above are also influenced by the focus mode (single or continuous), focus area (single or dynamic), which of the 11 focus points, and the metering mode (spot, center-weighted, or 3D matrix) the photographer has selected.

Don't forget that the photographer also has to slect which image format the photos will be recorded to the memory card in: RAW, JPEG Fine, JPEG Normal, or JPEG Basic, and if the camera will use such features as Active D-Lighting, Long Exposure Noise Reduction, High ISO Noise Reduction, etc, etc, etc.

But, but, but, my neighbor told me P mode, meant Professional. ;)

P, S, M, and A are shooting modes.

P = Program. The camera makes all the exposure decisions. Safe photos with absolutely zero artistic exposure considerations are made.

A = Aperture Priority. The photographer sets the aperture (DOF)/ISO the camera selects the shutter speed and cares not a whit if anything gets blurred in the photo because the shutter speed was to slow to stop the movement.

S = Shutter Priority. The photographer sets the shutter speed (motion stopping)/ISO the camera selects the aperture so DOF will be whateveer works to get the correct exposure.

M = Manual Mode. The photographer has to select each of the exposure triad settings based on the scene they are wanting to photograph.

All of the above are also influenced by the focus mode (single or continuous), focus area (single or dynamic), which of the 11 focus points, and the metering mode (spot, center-weighted, or 3D matrix) the photographer has selected.

Don't forget that the photographer also has to slect which image format the photos will be recorded to the memory card in: RAW, JPEG Fine, JPEG Normal, or JPEG Basic, and if the camera will use such features as Active D-Lighting, Long Exposure Noise Reduction, High ISO Noise Reduction, etc, etc, etc.
Thanks a lot for all this information. I set my recorded as JPEG Fine.

Most reactions

Back