Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is "Tripod", the hedgehog we're nursing just now:

tripodthehedgehog.jpg

Upon returning from the pool on Wednesday, the headlights of my car caught him while he was sitting in our carport, and Sabine immediately cried out: "Oh, look, a hedgehog! What's wrong with him? Look, he's not walking all right, he's limping, he's lame. I must look!" And sure enough, "Tripod" only had three little feet left to him, the forth was missing and there was a wound. Not a recent one, but it was wet and oozing and Sabine wouldn't have left him out there for nothing in the world. We called the vet even at night, but she suggested we feed him on something (egg was all I had at the time as Mia only eats dry cat food) and only come round on the following morning.

Her colleague was on duty and he gave "Tripod" a penicillin injection and cleaned and disinfected the stump a little and then suggested we keep him (or her, we're not to know...) indoors for about a week and feed him as he'd certainly be at a disadvantage with regards to chasing his own food outside just now.

So here we are with yet another hedgehog, and he is NOT tame at all, but always HUNGRY. That's a good sign, I should say, we keep disinfecting the stump with what the vet gave me, but when this morning I gave him the chance to "stretch his legs" a little (the moving box is not THAT large...!) and let him walk around the kitchen, his stump began to bleed again, so he might be better off in his cardboard box lined with newspaper shreds, kitchen paper towels and leaves.

For those who can stand "ick" (and believe me, that stump is not a LOVELY sight, but it isn't THAT bad, either), don't click the link.
Those who are curious (and have the stomach to click it) you can see why he is now called "Tripod":

http://www.fastpictures.com/images/AnniRocS/tripodthehedgehog2.jpg

Once we can be sure he can walk all surfaces without the stump starting to bleed again, we let him walk free, might continue to offer him cat food outside, but he's a wild animal and should remain being wild animal!

That is so cool. My girlfriend and I are the same way, we love bringing home stray/injured animals.

Great shot! Good on ya for taking care of it. It's a cute lil' bugger.

'Sup Tripod!

I hope it works out...

Nice photo of "tripod", and thanks for the story along with it.

There's a corner in Heaven for people like you - those that not only "Care", but "Act"...

My neighbor would have run over him while shouting "Two points"... I'm sure somewhere there's a place for him also.... :fangs:

There's a corner in Heaven for people like you - those that not only "Care", but "Act"...

My neighbor would have run over him while shouting "Two points"... I'm sure somewhere there's a place for him also.... :fangs:
:lmao::thumbup:

That is a touching story. It's nice to hear about such things. I wish little Tripod a full and speedy recovery.

Good for you guys!

My wife and I tend to do the same thing. Also take in unwanted birds and had so many of them some times we started calling ourselves the zoo :lol:

In spite of the mess it creates (let's not mention the vet bills) I can't wait to see what kind of animals we start getting once we are settled in Europe...

Well, thankfully the vet treats wild animals that people care for for free, so there are no vet bills coming up for Tripod.
The way he "walks" suggests that letting him run back into the wild might not be such a good idea after all. But we'll wait and see. While his stump looks a lot better today, much less swollen, the skin covering it still is very thin, very pink, very delicate, so it's to be the big moving carton for yet another couple of days to come, all lined with old newspaper shreds and paper towels.

Here's a newest one of Tripod, taken about 20 minutes ago:

tripodthehedgehog3.jpg

Sonic the tripod. :D

Do you think you may have inherited a new pet if it cannot fend for itself? (It's unlikely that it can any longer, even after it heals).

We might have, indeed, but if that should become the case, we'll need to build him a kind of enclosure out in the garden, so he's got some more room in which to roam about. So he is back out in a natural climate, with sunshine, rain, wind, the smells, earthworms that he might be able to chase in said enclosure (in addition to the cat food we'll keep offering him). We'll see. For as long as he coughs in the way he does, I keep him indoors.

Hi LaFoto,

Clearly your kindness knows no bounds. In my long life I've seen many three legged animals, it's amazing how quickly they adapt. The muscles in the opposite leg get stronger, and the animal alters its posture to compensate for the missing leg.

Your vet is most probably giving you good advice about housing, feeding and cleaning it (male or female?), but may I refer you to: British Hedgehog Preservation Society

Good luck with it.

As for the second pic, really nice, what a face, lovely eye and highlight. Keep 'em coming.

Last edited:
Tripod looks to be coming along in the second photo. Clearly your care is appreciated. I am curious though, if he/she is not tame, how were you able to safely secure him? Best wishes in your angel work.

Another really nice photo. That second one is so great, maybe frame it when the day comes that you no longer have this visitor with you.

Thanks for caring for him/her! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back