meet up with a fellow photog!

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.paigewilks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I met up with another local photographer so we could trade models ;). Unfortunately we couldn't meet during the golden hours so we met at 10:00 instead. We tried our best to find some nice light but inevitably there was harsh lighting. Another challenge I had was using a new lens. Mine (50mm1.4) is at the doctor so I am borrowing her sigma 30mm1.4. I slightly missed focus on a few, not sure if I should blame the lens learning curve or the fact that I am practicing bbf with wider apertures. Here are my favorites. C&c welcome ;)

1) the only decent sibling shot I got. Wish it didn't have to have a square crop like this but my daughter totally photobombed this one and I had to crop her out :confused:
IMG_5688.jpg

IMG_5735.jpg

3) not sure if you can tell at this size but there is a little 'rolly polly' bug crawling on her finger.
IMG_5635.jpg

IMG_5665.jpg

IMG_5669.jpg

IMG_5751.jpg

7) I like this one, but I think there is something 'off' or missing. does the metal on the gate distract? I also have a b/w version where it is less prominent.
IMG_5620.jpg

thanks for looking ;)

Are you both moms, by chance?

paigew said:
I met up with another local photographer so we could trade models ;). Unfortunately we couldn't meet during the golden hours so we met at 10:00 instead. We tried our best to find some nice light but inevitably there was harsh lighting. Another challenge I had was using a new lens. Mine (50mm1.4) is at the doctor so I am borrowing her sigma 30mm1.4. I slightly missed focus on a few, not sure if I should blame the lens learning curve or the fact that I am practicing bbf with wider apertures. Here are my favorites. C&c welcome ;)

1) the only decent sibling shot I got. Wish it didn't have to have a square crop like this but my daughter totally photobombed this one and I had to crop her out :confused:

3) not sure if you can tell at this size but there is a little 'rolly polly' bug crawling on her finger.

7) I like this one, but I think there is something 'off' or missing. does the metal on the gate distract? I also have a b/w version where it is less prominent.

thanks for looking ;)

My favorite is #2

1,2,3,5,my faves. I would crop some of the right hand part of #1 off... 2 the top vignette is a bit strong for my taste and I wish her head top were not missing...the B&W shot of the little girl in #3, looking at the rolly-polly (aka "potato bug" aka "sow bug") brings back MANY childhood memories of hunting for "potato bugs" as we called them, under old boards and old sticks...MAN, those things are FUN! ANyway, shot #3 is quiet and subtle, and her clothes,and expression are both just perfect! Again, the head space at the top creates unwanted "tension"...that needs a bit more top-space. #5 of the boy with the hard-to-pin-down expression is delightfully done. LOVE the use of the wide-angle in-close like that! The foreshortening effect from the W/A lens so close-in makes his arms and knees look big, and gangly,and I LIKE that! I expect some day he'll grow up to be about 6'2", and some day he'll see this picture, I hope, and smile.

The last shot, #7....ehhh...weird expression + unstructured composition + distracting background..."ehhh"...not one of the better members of the set. Adorable children though! I am a dad, and have a boatload of nieces and nephews, and making kid pics is fun, but very challenging. TO do it well requires a LOT of effort...squatting,kneeling, bending down, re-positioning one's self, switching lenses, watching the background,and CONSTANTLY re-framing OR totally ABANDONING the "perfect shot": as in the times whenever a horse,cat,bird,butterfly,bee, grammy,grandpa,pa-pa,me-maw, daddy,mommy,sissy,big brother,little brother, cousin Johnny or cousin Andrea,bumblebee,dragonfly,damselfly,cartoon,comic book, stick, leaf, minnow, crawdad,crow, robin,bicycle, TV commercial,dog,kitten,puppy,police car, tractor, truck,or ice cream or candy product appears ANYWHERE within a 50-yard radius of the child/subjects in said perfect pose.

Derrel! Thank you for your thought filled critique! I think I can recrop those few to allow more room above the head. I think you are right about the last one...I should just scrap it. Photographing children is really challenging because they are so real; they won't smile for you, especially a photographers child :lol:. But that is what I love about it! I love catching real expressions and the little ways they move. Thanks again for your critique.

hmm, that 30mm looks good. Do you shoot it with a crop?

Thanks schwetty! Yep, shot on my little 'ol rebel ;) wishing I had a full frame but making due for now.

well, if I have to guess, that lens probably wont perform as well on a full frame. Plus you dont want to use 30mm on a full frame if you fill the subject like that. It will be too distorted. Maybe it will still perform well on full frame, not sure. But I sure wont use it for portraits.

yeah the girl I am borrowing it from got a full frame and never uses it anymore. She actually said it won't fit her full frame...idk...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back