Melancholy

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was kind of an after thought of a shot, but I kind of like it....thoughts? It was taken through a store front window, so there are some reflections that I didn't want, but it is, what it is.

Melancholy.jpg

No, it's definately not a Mona Lisa by any means, but it is somewhat interesting. I have a bathroom dedicated to b/w prints and I think it's the kind of quirky thing that would go well with some of my other monochrome prints though. Just wish I shot from a different angle now to avoid the window reflection. meh, if ifs and buts were candies and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas too right?

To my eye, the interactions of the reflection with the window's contents are what make this photograph. Without the reflections it's much much less of a photo.

I'm not saying that it WORKS all that well, but it's a bold try for something pretty good, it's a strong idea. Without the reflection, it's far less interesting, far less bold, although it might have been more successful at being that smaller thing.

I'll be coming back to this one..

Hmm. Interesting thought.

I guess if someone wanted to try and give an erudite interpretation of the image, they could say that there is a tangible dissonance between the manequin yearning to connect with the viewer on a deeper level, but knowing that it isn't possible. The reflection and the physical barrier of the window only further makes that fact evident. How does that sound for some grasping interpretation of something rather benign and otherwise ordinary? In that sense, the photo would be much less w/o the reflection and the reminder of the window.

I think I'm starting to like this image a little more. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back