Memorial Day...

Steve5D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Every Memorial Day, we're reminded of that ultimate, irrevocable sacrifice far too many our brave young men and women in uniform have made in the tenacious, unwavering and never-ending pursuit to protect the freedoms which we, all too often, take for granted.

We're reminded to remember their bravery, and to never forget their selfless acts. We see the ceremonies at the Tomb of The Unknown. National Cemeteries from California to Florida hold well attended flag-laden ceremonies to properly honor the dead in solemn remembrance.

It's right and good to remember the fallen, and we should do it often. But, in our zeal to rightfully honor them, we may sometimes lose sight of the families these brave souls have left behind.

We never mean to, of course, but it happens.

Consider for a moment the fact that, to the 8-year old boy in this piece, his father has always been only a collection of pictures and some dog tags, a wedding ring and some recollections from his mother... and a dark granite tombstone.

The fallen soldier would be, I have no doubt, overflowing with pride in his young son, and I think that's probably the single best way for this boy to honor the memory of his father.

The still photograph at the end of this piece is profound...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing that.

These darn allergy's just kicked in.

Well said, Steve. Unfortunately, all too often, we see it as a day taken for granted. So many people these days take the sacrifices of our military for granted, they try to pretend that what they did never happened or is something to be swept under the carpet and forgotten. When I hear kids ask "What was Pearl Harbor" or "What was Korea?" or "What was Vietnam?" it breaks my heart to know that this is how children are being raised today. I defy anyone to stand on the Arizona Memorial, to watch blobs of bunker oil slowly rise to the surface as if the ship was still bleeding, and not get choked up. On the other hand, there are so many these days that would stand there and feel nothing.

I support our military 100%. I, for one, am very grateful for what they have done, are doing, and will do.

bnl140526.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back