Memory Card and flashes...

boyer84

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, first I would like to say that memory cards are on sale at circuit city. I just got an extreme III 4 gb for $47.99 when it's regular $99. Anyways, I also have a question about flashes. I really want to get one and not sure which to get. Currently I own a nikon D80 so the flash would be for that camera. I know most people will say either the SB 600 or SB 800 but I can't decide which one. I don't want to get one and then be disappointed that I didn't get the other one. I don't do photo shoots or professional photography currently but I might in the future. Right now I would just say I am an amateur or advanced amateur. Mostly I take pictures of family, friends, places, nature, etc. Would I really benefit from a flash? Also, Does anyone have examples of the SB 600 or SB 800 fired from on the camera with no other flashes. Like before and after shots. I just want to see what the difference is. Ok, well that's enough of my rambles for now. Thanks for reading.

Welcome to the forum.

As far as I know...the SB800 is the top end model. It has more power than the SB600...but as long as you are within the power limits of the SB600, there would be little or no difference in the photos.

Here is a comparison...http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb600vs800.htm

The 600 is nice, but the 800 is nicer.

- Of course it is stronger

- it has and can take advantage of a 5th battery for faster recycle times

- It can become the trigger in a multiple off camera strobe setup

Thats just a few things I can think of off the top of my head. I am sure there are a few more.

The 600 without an extra battery or battery pack has faster recycle times than an 800 without the extra battery. Other than that, the 800 has a little more power and more reach. If that's worth $100, then I'd go for it. Also, if you get a 600, you might regret not getting the 800 down the road. You can always sell the 600, but your bound to lose some money on it, making the final decision of getting the 800 that more expensive.

Just a little food for thought, I'm currently in the market for a flash as well and I'll be saving for the 800.

I have the SB-800, and it's quite powerful. I actually liked it so much I got another one. I'm quite sure the SB-600 is a good flash too, and it is a bit faster on recycling times, but I don't think a SB-600 can act as a commander flash like the SB-800 can, if that matters to you. The SB-800 recycles plenty fast enough, by the way, it's certainly no slouch in the recycling department. If you have the money, get the 800. Or, maybe, get two 600's. Two flashes give you a lot more control over lighting for portraits than one would, trust me. I love having two SB-800s, compared to the one that I had for a few months. So, right, one SB-800, or two SB-600s, or two SB-800s if you can afford it.

Thanks for the replies! I have the money for the SB 800 just wasn't sure which to get. Some people rave about the 600 and others about the 800. I think I will get the 800 though. Then I don't have to worry about any regrets down the road.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back