Memory Card and Tripod?

Ediacol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First, I have my eye on a Canon t2i to start out with and I ordered a memory card from Amazon however, I screwed up and bought the wrong one.. I got a class 4 SDHC San Disk 8gb. I read that a Class 10 is what I was supposed to get... so this memory card won't work well at all? and should I just try to send it back? I saw a class 10 kingston 16 gb sdhc at Frys for not much more than I paid for the class 4.. Would that be better? or should I just stick with the class 4?

Also Tripods.. how important are they? I have never used one but then again, this is my first DSLR I know alot of people like to use them for landscaping which I like to do but I will also like to take photos of babies, people and pets just to try & get my hands on everything to see what I like best. So should I buy one right away or do my thing without it for awhile?

Feel free to throw in anything else I should look into getting I'm just going to start out with the lens that comes with the camera, so if you know of any others a beginner :blushing: like me should try out please feel free!

I'd return the class 4 card and get the class 10. The 4 will be insanely slow.

Tripod depends on what you want to shoot. I'm glad to have one, but I don't use it daily or anything.

I agree; get the fastest card that you can afford. As for other gear, WAIT! Learn how your camera works, read and re-read the manual, practice and as you gain knowledge, you will learn what additional gear you need/want for your shooting style. Too many people new to photography make the mistake of spending money on gear they think they want, only to have their style develop along a different line and never use what they spent their hard-earned money on.

Thank You both! I struggled to make the money I have to even buy the camera lol so buying extra gear is kind of a headache I just bought the camera with lens, case and memory. I have all the digital stuff I need, photoshop and lightroom so I think I'm okay to start out. I'll head to Fry's tomorrow and get the other memory card I just hope I can return the first to Amazon =/

i hear you on the money deal. I too struggled to buy my gear and having to buy extra stuff is like AHH!!! expensive hobby this photography. Wait til you start looking at what some of these lenses cost.

If you're just starting, get a cheapy card. All I've ever shot with is class 4 cards, and I've never had speed issues. Or heard of them, actually. But I lose/misplace my cards like, monthly, so its probably for the best I don't buy an expensive one. Put the 60 bucks towards a nifty fifty.

ETA- that particuar card has quite a few bad reviews- http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Secure-Digital-SD10-16GB/dp/B0039UXVTU

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
i hear you on the money deal. I too struggled to buy my gear and having to buy extra stuff is like AHH!!! expensive hobby this photography. Wait til you start looking at what some of these lenses cost.

Lenses are actually the ONE thing that I haven't looked into, I'm scared lol. I do content writing on the side so I put all of last months earnings toward this.. it better make me happy! lol jk.

If you're just starting, get a cheapy card. All I've ever shot with is class 4 cards, and I've never had speed issues. Or heard of them, actually. But I lose/misplace my cards like, monthly, so its probably for the best I don't buy an expensive one. Put the 60 bucks towards a nifty fifty.

ETA- that particuar card has quite a few bad reviews- Amazon.com: Kingston 16 GB Class 10 Secure Digital Flash Card SD10/16GB: Electronics

Geeeeeeez Thank You for that!! Do you know anything about patriot cards? I always take pictures of things I want to check out at the store with my phone and I just checked which one I was looking at and I had actually looked at a patriot card not kingston, it's 16gb class 10 lx series for $15.99.. good buy?

& thank you about the tip on the nifty fifty, looks good that'll probably be my next buy toward this thing:)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
oh dear. i would never spend that much on a card.

newegg.com best prices i have ever found. i've been buying my cards from them since 2006

8gb class 10 pny is only 13.00 with free shipping. and 16gb class 10 is only 19.00

Newegg.com - Cameras, Digital Camera Accessories, Flash Memory, PNY Technologies, Inc., Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC), Class 10hey have other brands aswell. but i've been using my PNY class 4 8gb cards for 3 or 4 years now. i have 6, and none has ever failed me.

i have never had anything from newegg fail me.

Newegg.com - Cameras, Digital Camera Accessories, Flash Memory, Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC), 8GB, Class 10hat same kingston card from amazon is only 13 from newegg and .99 for shipping.

and the patriot you asked about is only 8 bucks.

Most reactions

Back