Memory Card ERROR

Status
Not open for further replies.

RKW3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a class 6 Turbo 4gb SD HC (somethin like that) memory card for my D80. I realized when I took a few pictures while shooting RAW quite a few of them became corrupted. It displays, "FILE DOES NOT CONTAIN IMAGE DATA." I'ts not too much of a problem since it only happened once, to like 10 pics, but I have a problem..

HOW DO I DELETE THESE CORRUPTED FILES? These things are taking up space in my memory card, and I havn't been able to delete them in all my efforts. I have tried by the computer, in-camera, everything. After I try delete one of them it says, "THIS CARD CANNOT BE USED". (although it works fine after restart of camera)

Any help would be appreciated!!

Here's my own personal scan of my memory card. (sorry you may have to tilt your head, lol)

click for full size

Nope, and it won't format on camera either.. What the heck?

It's basically a brand new card too, less than 400 pics taken on it.

can you open the card on ur cpu? if so you can't manually delete them from the folder there in or drag them out?

I have a class 6 Turbo 4gb SD HC (somethin like that) memory card for my D80. I realized when I took a few pictures while shooting RAW quite a few of them became corrupted. It displays, "FILE DOES NOT CONTAIN IMAGE DATA." I'ts not too much of a problem since it only happened once, to like 10 pics, but I have a problem..

HOW DO I DELETE THESE CORRUPTED FILES? These things are taking up space in my memory card, and I havn't been able to delete them in all my efforts. I have tried by the computer, in-camera, everything. After I try delete one of them it says, "THIS CARD CANNOT BE USED". (although it works fine after restart of camera)

Any help would be appreciated!!

I believe something slightly different is happening. If your card cannot be formatted, then chances are it has bad blocks in the beginning of its address space, where the file-allocation table is. If the problematic blocks were in the file space, a simple format would be able to isolate them and you would be able to use your card again, but if the file allocation table itself has bad blocks, it cannot be formatted with FAT32.

FAT32 is a fairly old file system and it basically stores its entire file-allocation table in a single location (two places actually, one being a backup) in the beginning of its address space. It is still being used because it is simple enough to use in a limited-resource environments, such as in your digital camera. Unfortunately in order for the card as a whole to be usable, this file allocation table has to be free of problems itself so that it can address files and problems elsewhere on the card. I would rather not use this card anymore, not even if my camera allows me to do so. You seems to have a bad card.

Thanks guys, I've had more efforts -- unsuccessful. Looks like I should get a new card and keep this as a back up.

I don't know this might be a camera issue. I have been havng the same issues with my D70s and I bought a new card but after a while it started with the new card. I am still in the middle of thisissue so I do not know what the problem is but I would not rule out a camera problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back