Memory card for Canon 550d

davholla

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Will I see any real difference in performance between 80/90/95mbs if I am shooting lots of raw photos? I.e. is worth paying extra?

I doubt you will see much difference when shooting still photos. Is it worth the difference? I guess that would depend on how much the difference is. What are we talking about in dollars and cents and what size cards, what brand?

As far as a CF and SD card database, robgalbraith.com has some actual stopwatch-timed and counted RAW write time data for cameras and popular cards...but the data is old now, but still, his CF and SD card database information can show you some popular camera models which might give you an idea of how various card-classes perform. I would pick a comparable-class camera, and look at how the BEST cards performed, and also how the cheapest cards performed.

Many people feel that shooting high-definition video is a more-demanding activity on the card's performance level than is shooting RAW still photos.

I have the t2i or 550d. It's an older camera and has a 6 shot raw buffer in burst mode. Period. A faster write speed isn't going to matter. Much. I'll get to that. With those faster numbers comes faster download speeds. Doesn't help with camera performance, but does save you time when you want to edit those pictures. Not sure what you're using now. I started with a cheap card. Horribly slow. Picked up one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Memory-Adapter-MB-MP64DA-AM/dp/B00IVPU7AO

It's meant for phones and tablets, but got it from Woot for a ridiculous price of 8.99. Something like that. Could now hit the buffer and it holds almost 1600 RAW+JPEG files. Overkill really, but it's still slow downloading to the PC. Funny you should ask this. Just ordered two of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Micr...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=N49JGQ9QWJBEER7F4SYP

The green ones are meant for pictures and video. Paid less than that of course. Should download faster and can be used with future cameras. The other card will be used in a tablet or even my phone. Shop around. Prices have come down and the 32GB are even less. They're very good quality memory cards. Hope that helped.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back