memory card reads 'CORRUPTED DATA!!'

jemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all, Needing your help please. I bought another 2gb sandisc ultraII compact flash memory card in October last year and it has started to say "CORRUPTED DATA" with a question mark symbol instead of the photo. I rang the camera shop where i bought it and he said i need to reformat the card/camera and to refer to my cameras manual... I did, but nothing about reformatting???? Has anyone else had this problem or more importantly, does anyone know about 'reformatting' and how to fix the darn thing????????????? Thanks heaps in advance. Jem x

Does your camera have a format option? Also depending on your operating system sometimes you can right click and "format" cards.

Absolutely your camera has a reformat option. I don't know where, but almost every camera has it, and I know the 350 does - I just don't know where. Go through your main menu, it's usually toward the bottom. That means if you scroll up you'll get to it pretty quickly.

This may not fix your problem, but try it.

Also, best practice: reformat your card EVERY TIME you reinsert it into the camera, after you've removed your images from it.

well i found the format option but still after formatting the card most images read CORRUPTED DATA!!!!! Bugga! maybe it is just a dodgey card??? Havent had it happen before on any other cards - should the shop offer a replacement I wonder??? x

I would take it back and ask for a replacement. In my experience, once a card starts to do that, it'll do it when you have important pics on it.

I've got a couple of sandisk cards and so far they have been bulletproof - not so with some cheaper no-name cards that I've had in the past, sounds like a dodgy one to me - of course the shop will try and blame your camera / PC however tell them that you have another two that have no problem (even if you don't) and throw it right back in their court.

well i found the format option but still after formatting the card most images read CORRUPTED DATA!!!!! Bugga! maybe it is just a dodgey card??? Havent had it happen before on any other cards - should the shop offer a replacement I wonder??? x

Do what Tempra suggested. Return it. Unless you got it on eBay or one of those places selling fake "relabeled" cards.

For amusement, should you be stuck with it, you can plug it into your card reader and run Norton or something else, run a "surface test" which will check the card for errors. For more fun... wipe the data, then format in the camera again.

If you got it from a store, return it for replacement. It's that simple.

After formatting the card, you shouldn't have any images. Format wipes the card clean of images.

Also, best practice: reformat your card EVERY TIME you reinsert it into the camera, after you've removed your images from it.

Excellent idea. I have the worst luck with memory cards, usb flash drives, and mp3 players. All that stuff has a life span of about three months with me before I get the dreaded, "Data corrupted" message, then it never works properly again.

oh oh oh, i know...maybe. when i take a picture off my camera, edit it and stick it back on my camera i get a data error....maybe thats your problem?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back