memory Card

bantor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
jrcreations.bravehost.com
I was wodnering where everybody buy their memory cards. I have been looking around, and so far ebay is the cheapest but to be honest i don't trust ebay for some reason. So does anybody have any super cool links to ultra cheap (and quality) memry cards?

www.bhphotovideo.com

in the search bar, type in "psjan". then, in the Brands box, scroll to Sandisk. you will see a bunch of memory cards at discounted prices. they have a 2GB Sandisk Extreme III for only $98. Regular is $110. There was a massive price drop overall too. I bought my 1GB Sandisk Extreme III in January for about $98....

You will also be able to see other gear that is on sale.

this is a special discount page, generally you can save a few bucks over the reg price.

Thanks. Wow, that is a really good deal, I have a question about the "Extreme III" cards, are they alot better than standard Sandisk memory cards? The reason i ask is becasue i have found a 2GB Sandisk for 130$ CND, and i was wodnering if it is still going to be a good card?

More over, what is the practical difference between the Sandisk Ultra, Extreme III, and the normal. Is there a large enough difference that i would care or notice?

Just a thought. I know a lot of people have multiple memory cards. It can get costly buying all these cards. I currently have a 1 GB card and a 40 GB portable hard drive that accepts nearly every type of memory card. If Im away from my Computer long enough to take over a 1 GB of shots (i.e. vacation, a really great day, etc) I just upload my card to this hard drive while in the field and then keep on shooting. It effectively makes my card a 40GB card. This drive can be bought at BH for 160 I believe. so for roughly $260 you can get enough space to shoot until you battery dies. Also its great for vacations. if you are going anywhere and only have a Gig card you need to have a place to dump the pics or you will find yourself with no space left and 4 days of vacation to go

wow, that is a really great idea, i am actually going on a vaction (actually more of an excertion) and i will be away from technology for about 2 weeks. I will be taking ALOT of pictures, and considering that i was going to get a 2 GB card or two 1 GB cards, and a lap top, but i am going to do that instead!

But the question remains, what is the difference in SanDisk types?

I think the Sandisk Web site lists the different types and you can compare them.

I have a plain Sandisk, a Sandisk Ultra II and a Sandisk Extreme III. When I'm shooting, I can't tell which card is in the camera. They are all basically the same.

The Extreme is supposed to be more durable and work at more extreme temps...but the other ones seem just fine to me.

Every card has a speed rating...the more expensive "pro" cards read and write faster. This is not much of an issue when shooting....because a good camera will have a good buffer to store the images while they are writing to the card. The difference will be noticed when you are uploading from the card to the computer...but if you have more than one card...why would you ever need a few extra seconds when uploading?

As you are in Canada...I'd suggest buying locally. With shipping and other cross border fees that you may incur...the savings will vanish.

I wait for sales or rebates on cards. Check places like Future Shop, London Drugs, Blacks Photography, Best Buy etc. These things go on sale all the time.

Bantor check out the Jobo Giga One. Thats what I have and it works great for me, some have LCD screens that let you view the picture but I find no need for that, it increases the price and doesn't really add much usefulness, I assume it also drops the battery life drastically. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=413944&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

169.95 at BH well worth it if your shooting in RAW and traveling. or just like to take a lot of pics. You could even get by with this and a 512 card. once you have the hard drive your card size is insignificant, although dont go too low or you'll find youself needing to unload you card too often.

I was directed to this seller by other members on the forum.
Cheapest, reliable online supplier I've found in Canada.
I orderd a few CF cards already with no problems. Bought a hard disk from them as well.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=15639&vpn=CF/1024-S&manufacture=Kingston

they get a decent rating here:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2064.html

I'd go for a plain jane card...the extreme ones only give the extreme speeds when used with certain cameras (do the reseaerch and you'll know which ones), and quite frankly I don't think you'll notice a difference so why pay more?

thanks for that link D-50..shopping for one of those

D-50 said:
Just a thought. I know a lot of people have multiple memory cards. It can get costly buying all these cards. I currently have a 1 GB card and a 40 GB portable hard drive that accepts nearly every type of memory card. If Im away from my Computer long enough to take over a 1 GB of shots (i.e. vacation, a really great day, etc) I just upload my card to this hard drive while in the field and then keep on shooting. It effectively makes my card a 40GB card. This drive can be bought at BH for 160 I believe. so for roughly $260 you can get enough space to shoot until you battery dies. Also its great for vacations. if you are going anywhere and only have a Gig card you need to have a place to dump the pics or you will find yourself with no space left and 4 days of vacation to go

i was planning on getting one of those as well. i have tried looking for one that can back up to my ipod, but the reviews i have read for these devices are not good. they are too slow and eat up too much battery life to make it worth while. what is the name of your drive? how much battery life does it have?

I have a similar (if not the same) device as D-50, and I love it to pieces, except the battery life, I have been battling the battery life since day one. I am planning on taking a similar trip in which I will be removed from technology in general, in which I am planning on bringing a 2GB card, 1 GB card, an Epson unit (the portable HD) for carrying with me on the street, as well as a laptop where I plan on loading my images and making a discs of my images to pack in seperate luggage. Perhaps it is alot to bring, but I am just hoping that my camera doesn't crash, and other than that I have everythign else backed up (two memory cards unless one corrupts, 2 hard drives etc.)

Good luck with your hunt for memory cards

Epson P-2000

By this review, it seems as if the poor battery life is not large problem with most units, so I must check that out soon. On a positive note, one of the best features is probably the fact that it shows the EXIF data, always handy.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

The updated version is the P-4000 I do believe

Peanuts said:
Epson P-2000

By this review, it seems as if the poor battery life is not large problem with most units, so I must check that out soon. On a positive note, one of the best features is probably the fact that it shows the EXIF data, always handy.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

The updated version is the P-4000 I do believe
expensive units but probably the best out there.
you can also view nikon and canon RAW files on the epson p-2000...very handy. tho they are the only RAW files it supports at this time (also epson RD-1 RAW files)

wow, thanks for all the help guys. I really never realized how much technology there was out there specifically for memory storage.

I really like the idea of D-50's. I think i will look into the whole storage device a little further. And it is also good to know about the lack of difference in the sandisk cards.

Check this out.

Most reactions

Back