Memory Card

pantherlax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm kind of a beginner and recently ordered a D50 and will be getting a kit lens soon...
Anyway can someone direct me towards a good memory card? I searched and read that newegg.com has good cheap ones but i have no clue what kind of SD card? that I am supposed to buy.

So if anyone can give me a link to a cheap nice one that would be great. Thanks

I have a Lexar 2.0 GB 133X WA in a Minolta 7D and the card is always up to my needs - the card is pretty fast and has NEVER given me a problem.

frank

EDIT: Not sure what format card your camera uses - my card is a Compact Flash Type I - (aka CF I).

frank

By format he means what type of card - SD in your case. The card he was recommending was a Compactflash card.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SecureDigital-Extreme-III-Card/dp/B000F31TNY"]Sandisk Extreme III 2GB[/ame]

Having never used an SD card I can't recommend any, but I've got a CF card the same as this and it is fantastic, great write times and I've dropped in mud, water and loads of other stuff and a quick rinse under the tap and a pat dry and a few hours to dry out completely, and it's fine! I'd imagine that the SD version will be just as good, at that price you could almost afford to risk it.

As long as you get the proper type of card, SD in your case...there shouldn't be much of a difference between the different brands & speeds of the cards...for normal shooting conditions.

I really like Sandisk Ultra II cards, they are faster than the lower level cards and the price is usually pretty good. Check out Costco if you have one near you. Although I hear Newegg is pretty good as well. To bad they don't ship to Canada.

I shoot Transcend cards because they are lightning fast and (so far) very reliable... at a good price. Every camera I own now is SD high capacity, so I can use 4 and 8 gig cards, and I like never having to worry about running out of space... carry shoot an 8 gig and carry a 4 gb spare and an extra batteries, and you are good to go for up to 5000 shots on a D80. I have not yet shot more than 5000 images in a day (although I did come close once at 4800)

The number of images you can fit on a disk depends on the file type, resolution and amount of compression you use when shooting. RAW uses the most space, JPEG is less but you can vary the size and quality of the image with your camera settings.

Most reactions

Back