Mentorships with (Wedding) Photographers

Find a local camera club - they usually have access to great workshops which, if not free, are usually offered at substantially reduced rates over those offered to the general public. You're also MUCH more likely to find mentors there, and while it may not get you in the business, it will get you skills, and many of the old, retired pros who often join camera clubs know people who know people...
I would add to the above with find a local art school and see what photo work shops they offer.

Thanks pgriz, I really like this one. Would you be alright with me using it?

You're welcome to it. But do the homework and be prepared to discuss in some detail what the photographer's work shows. If you are able to highlight the things they are working hard to achieve, then they will
1) KNOW that you're on their wavelength as a potential second shooter, and
2) Know enough about the photography to have an intelligent conversation about goals, objectives, etc.

Remember the first photographer or the one you'd like to work with most still may not want to mentor a new photographer. Depends on their feeling on the subject. But if you continue to pound the pavement following the advice from above you will find some one who has no issues with taking on a mentor ship. No one will take you on if you give up trying..

pgriz, actually have been the past two days. Found this amazing wedding photographer which, in comparing to the others I never heard back from and even the ones I have, this one is leaps and bounds.

Rws, Well considering this is my...12th photog I'll be contacting hopefully it will be a yes.

What I meant about editing was that some articles I read seemed to have a bit of redundant or unnecessary information (like stating that police went to a certain address wouldn't be needed if the next sentence states there was an arrest at the scene). I think some of it could be more concise; what I read seemed to be student publications so I don't know what guidelines were used. But if you're looking into photography opportunities at this point you may not need to include much if any written work unless you wanted to do both.

If none of the photographers you're approaching are interested in mentoring, I wonder if there are other places you might develop some contacts in your area - any student organizations that bring in guest speakers related to photography? or community centers that have exhibits or events related to photography? - sometimes one contact or opportunity can lead to another.

I'll definitely take a look. And while I see your point, there is a great deal of difference between essay/regular writing and journalism writing. The latter sometimes is redundant but has to be written as if an eighth grader were reading it.

Thanks 12snds. I'm doing a shoot in a bit so I don't think I can watch but if they rebroadcast it in the near future I'll watch.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back