Mentorships with (Wedding) Photographers

If I were to do what you're doing, my letter would look something like this (a quick and dirty, it needs polish & refinement, but you can see where it's going):

Dear <Photographer's name>: I recently graduated from the <Institution's name> journalism program, and while there, discoverd a passion for photography, and in particular a love of wedding and portrait work. I want to develop my skills in this area, but understanding the inherent difficulties and the fact that one must be able to get it right the first time, I do not simply want to jump in as yet another 'Craig's List photographer to the detriment of the industry. To to that end, I am seeking an intern/second-shooter, paid/un-paid position in the industy as a way gain experience and would especially appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

I've spent some time veiwing the work of local professionals to learn more, and found myself particularly struck by your work and your <some quality about this person's work or mention a particular image; something that will tell him/her you've actually looked at their portfolio>.

I have some experience in the areas of <... and ...>, and am very dedicated to whatever I am doing, and willing to undertake almost any task. I believe that my willingness to work and learn would be a definite asset to your business.

My work is available for review (http://...) and if you are willing, please contact me at your convenience

telephone #
e-mail address

DO NOT E-MAIL - print it on good-quality, heavy-weight bond, sign it neatly in pen, and either deliver it by hand, or mail it. Include as an addendum, your CV with emphasis on education and photographic-related experience.

Thank-you tirediron. Is there any suggestions you'd have however in deliver it? I mean to show up at a photographer's door randomly to deliver a letter...I feel it's odd. Not that I'm opposed to meeting people but more it just strikes me as very random.

BigMike, the current website I have which is my name (I'll add it to my signature shortly so you and others can view it) has my journalistic work as well as my photos. Is this okay to still link people to? I ask because obviously as you said, link to your best work but since it has my journalistic work as well, should I link them to something else like a Flickr or something? I just feel the latter would be unprofessional while at least a site with my own domain name is more professional.

BigMike, the current website I have which is my name (I'll add it to my signature shortly so you and others can view it) has my journalistic work as well as my photos. Is this okay to still link people to? I ask because obviously as you said, link to your best work but since it has my journalistic work as well, should I link them to something else like a Flickr or something? I just feel the latter would be unprofessional while at least a site with my own domain name is more professional.
Hard to say. If you link to a full website that has all sorts of photos on it, they may not want to take the time to search out what you actually want to show them. Keep in mind that even asking them to view your site, you are asking for one of their most precious resources...their time.
I'd suggest creating a page/gallery on your site, specifically for the portfolio that you want to show these wedding photographers. Give them the link to that page directly. If you catch their attention or curiosity, they will likely look at the rest of your site, but the idea is to give the info as quickly and easily as possible because people have short attention spans. You're a journalism student, you probably know a lot more about that, than I do.

Delivery will depend in large part on the type of business front the photographer has. If he has a store/studio front business with reception, I would deliver it in person. If they're a non-frontage business, I would mail (postal mail) the letter, and if there's no mailing address, then I would telephone, introduce myself and summarize the letter and ask if it would be all right to send this (and for an address) or if you could make an appointment to meet with him/her.

I don't know if it'll show up now but I've put in my signature my website. I think under the wedding show photos I still have more than needed and I also have a feeling my news story photos aren't even needed.

Any thoughts guys? I'm just curious if the amount I have is a good amount or if there are some I can still get rid of? Let me know.

You have a white background with white text - I actually couldn't see the links at first on your web-page.

As for photos you've a little bit of everything in there, not utterly bad since you don't have a huge amount of any one category so it gives a good even display of both variety and your skill within a subject - good for a portfolio display. I would say that some shots are just a bit plain, basic or just really not anything special that shifts from the dreaded "snapshot" and into the "photo" line; however others look pretty solid- but some of those are more journalistic and record shots anyway rather than more controlled portrait work

Hmmm I see what you mean. Do you think I should get rid of the Story photos section? And what do you think of the Hailey photos, the heart on the horse and the shoes one are they okay? As for the white background with white text, do you mean the white text that's on the greenish bar? I think I know what I can do to solve that...I had actually changed it originally thinking having it on the bar worked but now I realize perhaps it would be better it be along the top like I originally had or something....The issue with the site I use to design the site would originally only allow me four page links up there (in the black part) compared to the white text I have on the green bar.

First thing I saw on your site was that object to the right which became a distraction because I was wondering what in the heck it was. It didn't particularly say photography or photojournalism to me.

I couldn't find you at first in the photojournalism links, I don't know that anyone's going to look thru that many newspaper editions. I'd think about picking a few of your best. There was one article in which there were a couple of paragraphs where I found myself mentally starting to edit... I did journalism in school which granted has been lot of years ago but I've always been pretty good at writing and editing - some of yours would benefit I think from being more concise.

I actually was thinking that reading your email, that it might have been better to be more specific. That email didn't particularly convince me why I'd hypothetically want to mentor you - what is it about photography that you have a passion about? - that's what I'd want to know. I've worked with student teachers and done work-related mentoring and to take on mentoring someone in photography I'd want to get an idea whether or not they were committed to this and if it would be worth my time.

I agree with other comments that you have some good photos and some that look as if the quality could be improved, which can happen as you get experience and continue to develop your skills. I particularly liked the series of the couple and their horse (edit - I did wonder at first what the background was for the heart and hands, but after seeing the next photo it made sense), and the set of photos of the arts event, I think those are nicely done.

edit - Including some of the photojournalism I think could show your experience in covering an event, which indirectly could relate to photographing a wedding as a type of event. But I have more interest in that than doing weddings so I might be biased.

Last edited:
chefhryl can you have your message make a little more sense? It's so separated with no real sentence structure I'm not sure what you're trying to convey.

vintagesnaps, I'm curious your thoughts about the articles. I only am curious because most of my articles on there (primarily those that were on the linked site) were edited three times in Canadian Press style, which could also be why it confuses you? I don't know, I'm just explaining why it may look like it needs edits. :S) I think the object on the right hand side is supposed to be a typewriter. I'll admit the site I use to design my site comes with somewhat pre-made web designs and I went with this one because to me it felt the most journalistic related but I appreciate the note. I may have to see if there's any way of changing the design or background. I'll keep the journalism type photos though, I appreciate your thoughts about keeping them and thank-you for the compliments on the horse-themed and Art ones.

I agree with Overead on your email, it looks very generic. Tailor it more to the person you are sending it to. explain what you like about them. Most will have names on there weddings so you can say something like "going thru the album of Jack and Mary, your photo of the couple by the pond blew me away" let them know you took the time to look over there work and there site and that you want to work with them versus you wanting to work with any wedding photographer.

There's this one photographer I've come across that honestly has thoroughly impressed me. I've been going through their different shots and albums and some have truly been unique, one was even a Vimeo video where someone flipped through a wedding album showing the photos taken. Have never seen that before on other photographers' websites. I plan to mention these but I'm curious what you guys think I should do about approaching them. They do not have any address listed so it would more be a case I'd have to call them (their phone is provided but doing a reverse lookup also doesn't come up with an address) so how would I go about this. I feel like what you guys have been saying really makes me think I should definitely get in touch in person/by voice instead of by e-mail. My concern is the photographer also does workshops (though right now there aren't any) so it makes me wonder if they'd even take on anyone. And what would I say? Obviously it's different than in writing a letter so I'm just curious.

Sorry if again it's a bit of a confusing message, it might be a tad all over the place but any advice would be appreciated.

Lol. I do like this forum because you guys have such personalities :) It's friendliest forum I've been at :p

I am not a wedding photographer, or even a professional photographer – but I have enough business and sales experience to know that for “most” people, an approach that identifies them as unique people with notable skills, will get their attention. Flattery that is not BS is a powerful motivator for the recipient to want to know more. So, if you have a particular person you want to notice you, you need to let them know you have seen their work, and that you really like what they have done “in this situation”.
Something along the lines of…

“I have seen the work you’ve done as shown on the website (…their web site…) and am very impressed by the quality that you are showing. I find this image (… image # … ) to be very evocative and it is admirable how you’ve handled the difficult lighting situation. The image (… image #...) shows clearly the emotional link between the (person 1) and (person 2), and you’ve framed it in a unique and attractive way. Etc.

I am looking at an intern/second shooter engagement with you, since there is obviously much that I can learn from your experience, and would like to know what it would take to have you agree to such an arrangement. I can offer you my energy, enthusiasm, and proven photography skills (link to photojournalism shots that really work), and organizational skills that should reduce your burdens. I fully understand that I am not at your level of experience and expertise, but I am hoping you are open to mentoring me and passing on your knowledge and insights.

I would like to call you on (Day/time) to discuss this possibility. If that time is not convenient, please let me know of an alternative time when I can call you. Alternatively, I can meet you at your (office/studio/etc) and show you my portfolio. Please let me know which contact method you prefer.”

If you ask, it's easy to say no. but if you give them the choice between two options, it is natural for most to choose one or the other. If you already have their attention because you referenced specific instances of their work, most will be at the very least interested in knowing more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back