What's new

Mess Hall, Vulture Mine AZ

Mitica100

Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
Nov 11, 2003
Messages
9,914
Reaction score
134
Location
Ahwatukee, AZ
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took this with the Toyo 45CX and a 90mm Schneider Super Angulon on 100ASA BW film. Scanned on Epson 4990 and touched up for dust with PS CS.

MessWeb.jpg


I'm getting hooked on LF!!! :)
 
Dimitri, you're just no good with that Toyo. Just send it over to me! :lmao:

Seriously, good shot. Great composition and cool tones.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #5
Cool shot. I can almost feel the texture.

What's LF?

Thanks! LF stands for Large Format. In this case it's a negative 4 inches by 5 inches (or 9cm by 12cm).
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #6
Dimitri, you're just no good with that Toyo. Just send it over to me! :lmao:

Seriously, good shot. Great composition and cool tones.


:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: He he... I might sell it though, pending on how much I like or dislike the Linhof Technika 4x5.
 
I like this shot.. it seems an old house and still some peaple are still living there.
 
Has a nice range of tones (something I ALWAYS immediately look for in a B+W photo) and the composition is lovely.

I have a friend who is a professional landscape photographer. He has put the bug into me to move up into the bigger formats (Medium or Large). Pictures like this will only urge me further....so please stop before I find myself out another couple of thousand dollars :mrgreen: .

Brian
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #10
I like this shot.. it seems an old house and still some peaple are still living there.

Thanks! The mine was abandoned in 1941 and it was left intact for all these years. It's in a natural state of decay and I'd say in about 50 years from now it'll be all but nothing left standing.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #11
Thanks to all for your comments. I'll try to post other shots taken there with the 4x5.
 
Do those negatives only come on plates or can you get LF film in rolls already?

"Linhoff, Linhoff"... that does ring a bell!
I hear that word mentioned by my dad and uncle, but you know I was only between 2 and about 8 when they did quite a bit of photography on the side.

It must have paid well, though, else I wouldn't know where the Leicas, the Rolleiflex (which - so my sister says - is beyond repair, unfortunately), and maybe even that mysterious "Linhoff" came from, that I only dimly remember from having been mentioned. :scratch: wonder where that went to, if it ever was there in the first place, for my sister does not seem to have it in her collection (of all the cameras my dad and uncle used back in the sixties when they had their little private company for advertisement, portraits and event photography going).

As to your photo here: it is just WONDERFUL!
I so wish I at least knew how to develop my own black and white film (regular 35mm, of course) ... but I don't even know anything about that. All I remember is that our new bathtub back in the early 60s was only smooth for the shortest of moments, after that soon enough all the smoothness was gone and it was a rough and scratchy from the developer that my dad and uncle poured into it after use :shock: :lol: !
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #13
No, in LF there is no film in rolls, just cut film. It comes in 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. There is also ULF (ultra large format) with bigger sizes.

Linhof made one of the best 4x5 press/field cameras to date. It's all that high German craftsmanship quality of the Leicas and Contax but in the LF field. I was very lucky to get my hands on one, I wanted it for the portability/sturdiness more than anything else.

Thanks for your comments about my picture. :D
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom